2" AF spanner

Anyone know where I could buy a 2" AF spanner, preferably a combination type. It's for undoing central heating pump unions

Reply to
davy

That's a big spanner.

:-)

You could try an 18" adjustable.

Or you could get something like this

open it up with a grinder.

Best I can find, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Rob Morley

================= Have a look at:

or specifically (watch for wrap):

you're desperate to use an open ended spanner it would be much cheaper to buy a large adjustable or a pair of 'Stilsons'.

Have a look at:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Normally one would use a pair of "water pump pliers" like:

?Y39562D79

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

davy wrote in news:Xns957DC2C622CDAalanhotmailcom@

62.253.162.201:

I used 18" Stillsons

Got anything like a chain wrench?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

He didn't ask for waterpump pliers, he asked for a 2" AF spanner.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , Rob Morley writes

Did you not notice the suggestion above the link ?

Reply to
raden

Yes I noticed it - I also wondered why it was made in reply to my post rather than the OP's.

Reply to
Rob Morley

So why did you ask the question ?

Reply to
raden

What question do you think I asked?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , davy writes

I had the same problem earlier this year. After seeing the price of them online, I tried to hire one, which got me some funny looks.

In the end I used a pair of Stilsons.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Doesn't a combination type have a ring at one end? What would you use that for where pipes are involved?

You'd need to try a tool supplier that deals with trucks etc. But expect it to cost, due to the size and small demand. And a nut on a central heating pump can't be tight enough to need that sort of spanner. Unless it's corroded in place, and then undoing won't help as there will be no thread left. You just cut those off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Rob Morley writes

It's how it panned out in my newsreader hmmm...

Reply to
raden

Do you have a choice of how it threads, or does it just do it?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I do use waterpump pliers, but the problem with them is that they do not spread the load on the union nut very well and often the nut feels tighter than it is because you are squeezing the nut onto the threads

Stillsons of that size I sometimes use but they are fairly clumsy - ok for system boilers, fairly hopless on most combis.

The ring would have a segment cut from it to allow it to fit onto the pipe, and then slipped onto the union nut. This would be the most effective tool at loosening stiff unions as it will distribute the load effectively

Reply to
davy

offy dear, I think I'll have to make something up

Reply to
davy

'tis, innit?

Out with the welder and angle iron :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Cutting a 1 and 1/8" segment out of an expensive ring spanner seems rather extreme. You could easily make up a simple open ended spanner from a piece of 1/4" plate (possibly 3/8"). Get an offcut about 3" wide from a local engineering shop, mark out a 2" wide mouth and drill out around the marking with progressively larger drills and finish off with a large flat file and a round file. Cut the handle part to a suitable size with an angle grinder. This won't produce a top quality spanner but it will do this job because (as another poster pointed out) CH pump nuts are not really very tight unless they're badly corroded. And it won't cost you £85-00p!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Hi,

Try using a bigger size and shim it with a few strips of metal.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I'd normally use a Mole wrench or a big monkey wrench for that job because I happen to have them. If you don't want to pay a lot for an open-ender go along to an autojumble where you'll probably find several traders selling old tools. It's surprising what you can pick up.

Reply to
Richard Porter