2.4GHz links

I recently bought a remote device using this technology and found that the system was knocked out by my microwave and other remote interfering devices. I am now informed that most 2.4GHz routers also suffer from the same problems. Before I dump the whole concept, is this other peoples experience?

regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Although I'm sure that there are problems, because enough people report them, my wireless router has not once been affected by our microwave ;) The 54g internal (mini pci) card in the laptop doesn't seem bothered by either the Dect phone or the mobile sitting right next to it either.

Anyway, if the leakage from the MW is high enough to disrupt the router signal, wouldn't that be a concern in itself?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Most microwaves operate at one of the resonate frequencies of water around

2.4 GHz and the reason this band is licence free is because it was deemed to be of no use to anybody. But of course being free encouraged people to try to use it.

I think your card operates at the other frequency of 5.4GHz and so won't be affected by most microwaves. If the OP has problems he could look for one operating at this frequency as well.

Dect operates at 1800 MHz and mobiles even further away so shouldn't affect things.

Possibly. Depends how close they are to each other. There is bound to be some leakage through the glass front and fan openings. .

Reply to
Mike

Nope it's a 2.4 Ghz one. It's tha "A" cards which are 5.8Ghz

Ok, didn't know what frequency Dect was, though 3G is closer at 1.9/2.1Ghz

Lee

Reply to
Lee

You were told porky pies.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Yep. So don't hold a 3G phone to your head :-)

Reply to
Mike

1880-1900MHz actually.
Reply to
Peter Parry

In message , Peter Parry writes

Yep, we got 11g router, laptop and desktop with cards and never any issues with interference.

Reply to
chris French

It is possible for ovens to cause a problem, although it can be poor electronic design as much as microwave emmission that is the root cause. WiFi uses spread spectrum technology to mitigate the effects of static source interferers like this...

Things like certain types of building construction (re-enforced concrete in particular) and mains born interference are more likely to cause problems.

GSM is typically 900MHz in this country (O2, Vodaphone), PCN however

*is* at 1800MHz (TMobile, Orange)

It might, but remeber that the power output of a WiFi router is well under a watt, so it is not going to take that much signal to saturate a WiFi receiver.

The glass should be screened, and the fan openings should be significantly smaller than a wavelength. Dirty door seals however can act as a crude wave guide and cause some leakage. Also look out for damaged hinges, catches etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bluetooth *does* use spread spectrum with channel hopping thoughout the whole 2.4GHz band, but I thought WiFi chopped the 2.4GHz band into fixed overlapping channels, with the "microwave oven" frequencies being most likely to take out channels 9/10/11. I'm talking about 802.11b here as I haven't looked into 802.11g, 802.11a wouldn't be affected as it uses 5.?GHz.

Reply to
Andy Burns

PCN is officially considered part of GSM now, also O2 and Voda_f_one have 1800MHz alloctions as well as 900MHz.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a baby cam that uses a 2.4GHz wireless link, the same type as video senders. It picks up interference from the 802.11b wifi, microwave, bluetooth.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Tavener

Try one of these. Should solve your problem

Mike

I can confirm that leakage from microwave ovens can be a problem on

2.4GHz. I have one of those video Digisenders which works on 2.4GHz, I can allways tell when the lady next door is cooking her sons dinner because of the rhythmic pattern of interference on the remote TV which lasts about 5 to 10 mins.
Reply to
Dave