19" rack verticals?

Hi,

Anyone know of a source for 19" rack style square hole punched vertical rails?

I'm after something in a "L" shaped format to screw inside a cupboard to make a presentable patch panel, small net switch and telecoms housing...

The other option is some angle pre drilled at the 3-to-a-U hole spacing and tapped with a reasonably usual thread...

Only need a couple of 600mm (at most) lengths... Google is not my friend in this :(

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

CPC

sell it as "rack strip" in 'U' lengths. a 14U strip is

2.71 + VAT ( part number DP28660)
Reply to
charles

Absolutely perfect - thanks Charles. I'll order than when I have enough bits to do the £20 minimum for Onecall.

Time to nip up to Ikea to check out the "dodgey kitchen cabinet seconds" bins. I'll have to check the measurements but I ought to be able to mount these in a 600mm wide cabinet and have space for power down the right side - or failing that the bottom...

The plan is to put this in the hall, high up and drop a couple of 50mm bits of drain pipe down through the ceiling as well as a 20mm conduit for mains (13A strip wired into a FSU above spurred off the ring).

I will house one (mayeb 2) patch strip(s), one switch, BT master socket and ADSL modem. Nothing hot - so should be happy in a cupboard.

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Search online for the "Lack rack" The Lack coffee table (fiver normally, down to 1.60 when I was last in there) is about the right size to make a shallow rack, using 19" kit and chipboard screws into the legs.

19" strip is usually made by cutting down datacentre racks and wardrobe-sized cabinets. There never seems to be any shortage of this stuff if you look in the right skips.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

To buy a "Lack" table?

Andy Burns

Dang, I thought I was being original when I did this in January 2009. Apparently not.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Tim Watts

hifi is all housed in 19-inch racksize cases, and actually sits under a Lac(k?) table. They make not-bad turntable supports, especially if you put pointed feet inserts into the legs.

However I've never actually tried applying the methos, since it seems to me that there would be way too much leverage against the legs in this scheme. Am I missing something? For instance, are people putting 'cradles' in for the gear to sit on? or are they only installing pretty light equipment this way?

My Amp has 2x 500VA transformers in it, and heatsinks to macth. I would want some reassurances before I tried this...

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper