19 inch racks?

Yes, this is DIY. Just network wiring the house and preparing to turn one of the large bedrooms into the office.

I'm after a rack - somwhere between 27U and 35U. I occasionally see these on eBay but collection is usually the norm and they're always miles away.

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of new or used racks in the South-East? I'm actually in East Kent but don't mind collecting as far as (say) Kent, Sussex, Essex, London, Bucks and Herts.... I don't want to pay an absolute fortune for one of the upmarket ones from some of the overpriced network equipment suppliers...more a factory gate job if you see what I mean.

Yes, it will fit in the car, even assembled...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Bob Eager writes

We'll have a few spare sometime next month in Cambridge if thats any use to you. Somewhere around 40 U but most are made, well ones less doors, that you can cut them down a bit!.

Theres somewhere in Croydon, display electronics IIRC who does them second user...

Reply to
tony sayer

In my experience, they are very heavy, very sharp and very expensive. I gave up and bought some Ikea shelving, so now have a wooden "rack" with my Ultra

2 in it.
Reply to
Huge

Have a look at this URL, they do both built and a range of CKD units.

:::Jerry::::

The slightly off-beam world of Bull Electrical awaits your pleasure.

they're somewhere outside Brighton - their postal address says "Henfield", BN5 9SL. I think this is a new location - they used to operate out of some disused airfield or sthg of that sort!

Even if they no longer have 19" racks for sale, you'll find *something* to fill up your shed, garage, and loft with there ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Not sure if you mean that one doesn't have a door or they all do...but would be interested.

Are they still going? Must take a look...

Reply to
Bob Eager

more than RS!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sounds interesting in a general way...Henfield isn't that near to actual Brighton but easy enough for me (I grew up in Brighton so no problems navigating!)

Thanks

Reply to
Bob Eager

They don't seem to have any racks but I'll email them...

In any case, this could get expensive...I mean, a thiefproof pen and a box of fart bombs...just for starters...then the lockpicks...

Reply to
Bob Eager

These things always come at the wrong time. There were skips full of all sorts at Teddington Studios a few weeks ago.

You might try a post to to see if anyone knows of any currently being thrown out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think that Nimans do them and will deliver..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. I have a 42U one that, with casing, doors etc., weighs 160kgs. It tops a quarter of a tonne now that it is populated. ISTR that it cost about £1k new.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Try BBC Pebble Mill. They have loads of 35 and 40 U racks due to them moving. Speak to security on 0121 432 8888

ABC

Chrome wiggly wire racking is now cheap - half the price of a year ago, much cheaper than 1999. I've just bought new server racking from my local shopfitting place - £67+VAT for a set of four shelves and legs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes. Used them too. Excellent product but used to be a tad pricey.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We have used these bods in the past:

new racks they were quite a bit cheaper than some of the alternatives at the time IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote | These things always come at the wrong time. There were skips full | of all sorts at Teddington Studios a few weeks ago.

Guide price of £1,400 but not worth 50p? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Bob Eager" wrote | Yes, this is DIY. Just network wiring the house and preparing to turn | one of the large bedrooms into the office. | I'm after a rack - somwhere between 27U and 35U. I occasionally see | these on eBay but collection is usually the norm and they're always | miles away.

You can get ready made rack strip with the correct mounting holes punched ready for cage nuts[1], just fit between the verticals of your choosing.

After all, this is DIY :-)

Owain

[1] from Canford Audio amongst others
Reply to
Owain

Yes. ;-)

I've worked for Auction World a few times, and they paid very well on the odd occasion they've needed freelances. But it's about the most boring job ever.

Sad thing is Teddington Studios spent a small fortune upgrading their studio only recently - and it seems they're owed money too. Hope they (the studios) can survive this - it's one of the nicest places I ever have the pleasure of working at.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)