Subject Author Posted Replies

Drayton MiStat wireless progstat (first impressions)
I fitted one of these today. It was to replace an older Drayton progstat whose relay box wasn't switching (green LED came on but boiler didn't fire up). The new relay unit has an...
4
4

Lidl 3 Piece Pipe Wrench Set
Aside from the possibility that this offer (Monday 23/09) might be of interest to some, I have a question. On the fourth picture, what is the wrench being used for? The fitting appears to be push-fit...
4
4

Metric copper pipe?
I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to 15mm & 22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when? I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this...
7
7

Joining joists
I have been planning this for some time but circumstances have changed a bit so I need to work out a plan B. I need to add a floor to my loft, clear of the ceiling. The ultimate use will be storage...
26
26

TRV4 Rad Valves Leaking
I fitted new Drayton TRV4 radiator valves to all my rads about 4 years ago, and already two of them have started leaking where the valve pin projects from the valve body. Is this a common problem? Are...
13
13

Pointing, as a career
I know someone with OCD and Asperger's Syndrome who rather fancies a career pointing brickwork. I imagine that's also the fiddly part of the work that many builders detest. Is it possible to make a...
8
8

OT Kinda MB Sprinter Glow Plug diagnosis
Hi chaps, my early Mercedes benz sprinter 308d had the glow plug light staying on, which means a glow plug problem. So i have fitted new ones and now the light doesn't come on at all. Anyone out there...
18
18

Browsers OT
Still running XP and explorer 8? I am starting to get messages about *chrome frame plug in* soon to be unsupported. Please uninstall and upgrade to a modern browser! I am happy with XP as my E-mail...
40
40

Toilet Seat
Exciting, huh? I'm trying to source a replacement for a toilet seat that's been broken. The seat itself is nothing out of the ordinary (oval, 345mm x 420mm) but the fixings are stainless steel. There...
19
19

Aldi lathe?
There's a lathe at aldi this week what use is it? I'm repairing an old house. would it be useful to me? I've never used one so I dont know what it would do apart from make curved table legs. [george]
19
19

PING Bill Wright: aerial mast to concrete post
Hi Bill (or anyone else) Any idea if there's a pole bracket that could be bolted to these: (Bracket-clamp for slotted concrete fence posts)? Would be even better if it was easy to loosen and drop the...
14
14

Small PCB transformer - typical measured values?
Hi - I took a punt on a non-working ebay second-hand document shredder (£ 20). It's a Rexel, very decently built pro model with substantial mechanicals. The problem seems to be no +5V to the...
13
13

Magimix M 100 Coffee Machine PSU
Hello! I have just collected a Magimix M100 Auto Coffee machine from someone on Freecycle, reported a "not working" turns out one of the thermal fuses strapped to the heater had gone (there are two,...
17
17

How should income tax be calculated?
The weather is rubbish so I set about doing my self-assessment tax return online [so it is diy-related :-)] and came up with a puzzling query. How should income tax due be calculated *precisely* ? My...
36
36

Thermostat dial is the wrong way around
I have a Cotherm TSD thermostat for my hot water cylinder that has been staying on indefinitely, i.e. the water is getting far too hot. When I turned the dial from end to end, there was no clicking...
8
8