15mm Plasterboard

I recently discovered my daughters new build was dry lined with 15mm PB, ne ver having coming across this I checked out the British Gypsum site and sur e enough it is available. Whilst reading the specs. for it I noticed a comm ent that the board dimensions allowed the use of to quote the "industry sta ndard 600mm stud spacing". I always thought that 400mm was the standard spa cing and was wondering if due to the thicker PB this allowed wider stud spa cing, it certainly explains the trouble I have had finding studs in her wal ls which seem to comply with this 600mm standard?

I am posting this as recently I have had my first hollow wall anchor failur e the result of using one suitable for 12mm PB, because the anchor did not fully open it pulled its way through the board rather than grip behind when screwed up tight.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's certainly what I build mine to.

I did use some 15mm soundblock PB, and those couple of extra mm do make for much stiffer board, mine went double layer onto horizontal metal 'resilient bars' rather than vertical studs though.

The proper setting tool will prevent that

Reply to
Andy Burns

It will. This type is better but harder to find

David Lang

In message , Tricky Dicky writes

600mm is the standard nowadays I think, with at least 12.5mm board
Reply to
Chris French

I use a setting tool but the extra 3mm thickness of the PB prevented the an chor from opening out correctly behind the PB instead it spread in the hole and basically breaking up the gypsum and simply pulling through as the scr ew was tightened. Anyway lesson learned not to make assumptions regards PB thickness in future, still swear by hollow wall anchors for drywall as long as the correct ones are used.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Are you sure that there *are* any studs? A lot of dry lining nowadays is done by gluing the board to the walls with dollops of plasterboard adhesive. This leaves a gap of anything up to an inch between board and solid wall, except where the dollops are.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger, the external walls are dry lined using dot & dab, but all the intern al walls are studded walls and the studs are definetly on 600mm centres. I managed a look at one of the houses under construction and what I thought w as an incomplete framework turned out to be complete with studs at 600mm ce ntres.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky