OT: I need an elec Oven Expert

Thanks in Advance for any help!
I was baking ribs in the electric oven (Kenmore, Sears here in USA)and it went berserk. I could not get the element to shut down. I turned it off at the oven control and 5 minutes later, it was still going full out. I had to shut the main circuit breaker for the oven off let it cool down and disconnect the element in the back of the oven so I could at least use the rest of the range.
Anybody got any ideas? Someone told me the elements can just go out of control and burn themselves up, but I don't want to spent $ 65 on an element and have that not be the problem. I have looked through a couple of troubleshooting guides and none has a problem that sounds anything like my problem.
I'd have a repairman look at it except I'd have to undo the electricity (it's hardwired) take it out of the cabinet and haul it 100 miles to the service man. I live out in the wild west 100 miles from the nearest town with a repairman.
Thanks, Byrd
Elements do not just go on and can't be turned off. They have to get the electricity from a control. that is where you are having the problem. There usually is a schematic on the back of the machine. see where the e;ectricty is coming from. You of course need a meter to check.Start at the element and work back to the control. Use an OHM METER and the power DISCONECTED.
Find someone who knows something about electricity
Rae
Anon Ymous wrote:

Elements do not just go on and can't be turned off. They have to get the electricity from a control. that is where you are having the problem. There usually is a schematic on the back of the machine. see where the e;ectricty is coming from. You of course need a meter to check.Start at the element and work back to the control. Use an OHM METER and the power DISCONECTED.
Find someone who knows something about electricity
Rae
Anon Ymous wrote:

It seems to me that the thermostat is the problem. Sounds like the thermostat isn't telling the element to turn off. Typically electric heat elements become an open circuit and don't get hot at all. Good luck

element