Obsolete Craftsman Cordless Drill - Need Batteries (2024 Update)

They've been cooked by the charger that doesn't shut off when they're fully charged.

I'm told by Sears those batteries are obsolete, and after searching

, they aren't available online, either.

This tool is hardly used, and I hate to part with it, the case, charge, and two dead batteries.

Batteries, by the way, are 12 v , Model number 315.111010. Drill motor is Model Number 973.27492.

Any input on where to get replacement batteries? Sears has other 12 v batteries similar to this, but they include a slight ridge or "spline" along the round plastic shaft that slips up into the body of the drill motor.

If I attempted to remove this ridge/spline, would it work? These batteries aren't cheap, so I don't want to get involved in something that won't work.

Any ideas? Hacks? Are there batteries out there that I can cross-reference to this one and match it up?

Help! I hate to throw this thing out.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Hanser

take the battery pack apart. Possibly there is a manufacturer and part # on the individual batteries in the pack. You may be able to rebuild it.

Bruce Nelson

cross-reference

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson

Bruce:

I see several Panasonic 97-07 batteries linked together.

Any leads as to where I can find these replacement batteries online? I'm looking at Batteries America, but I don't see them.

Thanks!

Tom Hanser Seattle, WA

Reply to
Tom Hanser

Try

Some batteries are heat sensitive. If you can get them with tabs already tack welded, you could solder wire (maybe #16 multistrand) to the tabs, with an appropriate heat sink, to reduce heat load on the battery.

Bruce Nelson

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson

Thanks, Bruce.

One other option, if I can't find these batteries or don't want to solder them together, is to purchase the newer 12 power pack, and change out the inside batteries. I'm assuming they're the same set of batteries in a slightly different case.

Tom Hanser Seattle, WA

Reply to
Tom Hanser

There's an idea !!!!

Now where do I find a cheap 14.4V battery that will run my old laptop? (new battery is about $375, and the laptop is not worth it).

Bruce Nelson

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson

If everything fails there is another option . You can attach two wires to the terminals inside drill and alligator clips on the other end, then you can connect it to any 12 to 18 volt power source. Cheap 12 volt lawn mower batteries work great but of course you have the cord to deal with but its still portable.

cross-reference

Reply to
toyman

Good idea, Toyman. At least I wouldn't have to dispose of a virtually new drill motor.

I notice once I got inside the battery pack, there are a cluster of about seven batteries wired together. One battery is inserted up into the cylindrical piece with the terminals on it, but it doesn't want to come out - I wonder if it's soldered to the terminals?

This might be a problem.

Reply to
Tom Hanser

Probably spot welds. See if you can cut the tabs. I understand it is better to try to avoid applying heat directly to the battery.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson

Thus spake Tom Hanser:

They are likely "sub-C" size (slightly smaller than your hardware store "C" cell. If they're NiCd (likely), any brand NiCd of that size will work. Many suppliers. I like

for batteries. Order NiCd tabbed sub-C cells. Don't solder directly to the battery ends; get "tabbed" cells and solder the tabs together or bridge them with wire.

That one cell up the stalk will be a problem if you can't get it out.

Good luck, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Or they could be a completely different kind of battery that won't like your old charger.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Typical of craftsman, sell something and don't bother to tell the customer that the batteries will be obsolete, and that it is 'cheaper' to buy a whole new drill. Read 'why I'll never buy craftsman again'.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

actually, even when the batteries are available, it is better to buy new. The last time I went to replace a battery pack, I realized that for $5.00 more than the cost of the battery, I could buy a more powerful drill with 2 batteries, charger and case.

This seems to be the case not only with craftsman, but with other cordless vendors as well: the package of drill, 2 batteries, charger, and case, costs less than 2 replacement batteries. And governments wonder where the landfill space goes.

Bruce Nelson

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson

Sears parts direct. And at sears 9000neiman rd Lenexa or overland park kansas Mine was stolen in front of me so now it's a gift from me to him. All I want to know is the specs...... Torck...

Reply to
Bummer

replying to Tom Hanser, George wrote: Hello, go to

They have replacement battery cells for your battery. I have the same Craftsman drill batteries you have and so far they are working great. Just take apart your case, take out the old cells and slide in the new ones and close the case. They come fully charged. The part # for the new cells are: RI-CRA-12V2-22P and they are around 40 bucks.

Reply to
George

replying to Tom Hanser, Nancy G Bland wrote: Tom do u still have the charger? if so how much is it? my name is nancy.

Reply to
Nancy G Bland

replying to Tom Hanser, William Blasdel wrote: I found a source for those batteries.........they are rebuilt so not sure of the quality. I ordered one just now so I can't tell you anything about it yet. The site I found was as follows:

William Blasdel

replying to Tom Hanser, CLAUD wrote: Think out of the box, Attach leads to the motor with battery clips and run the drill off a car battery. You can buy an 18V drill with two speed drive, a clutch, two lithium batteries (lighter with more run time than nicads) and a one hour charger for about $99.

Reply to
CLAUD

replying to George, Owen wrote: Thanks for the tip about GCBattery.com. I've sent them a note about ordering as their website does not seem to be set up to take orders directly. They've also got inexpensive Makita drill battery packs for $20 (complete with housing) so I don't have to pony up $75 each through Home Depot.

Reply to
Owen

I need the same replacement battery for my drill. Can not find them either. I found a place

that will rebuild your old battery pack. It is my only hope. You have to mail the old battery to them and they replace the internal parts and send it back.

Reply to
bob