Emglo Compressor No Start....

Hey Group,

I've got a small Emglo compressor (AM39) that suddenly stopped starting today. It humms for about 5 seconds before tripping it's internal breaker. I'm thinking bad motor start capacitor.

Is there a way to test the capacitor...like with a multimeter ????

Thanks

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

yes remove the leads from the capacitor, short the terminals to drain any charge, set the meter to a low ohms setting now check that the capacitor conducts then opens . This is better done with a analog meter because they usually pass more current on ohms checks but digitals can be used. The capacitor should not continue to conduct continuously nor fail to conduct. If repeating the test short the terminals of the capacitor between each test. You may need to adjust your ohms settings to get the easiest to see results. The theory is that a capacitor is a energy storage device that charges then discharges when more the voltage drops.

Reply to
Jeffery Davis

Thanks Jeff,

I already replaced the capacitor....Everything else seemed OK so by process of elimination....

Runs like a champ now !!

I will save your test info for future use, though !!!!

JS

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

Jeffery, thank you for your response to Jeff's query. I have always wondered how to test conductors without a $300 meter.

Bruce Nelson

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson