distinguishing of the piloy light

The pilot light for our house gas heater goes out sometimes (not all the time). It needs to be re-ignited and a bar in front of the pilot light (I believe it is the thermocouple) needs to be heated for a while before the heater fires up. We had a new electric valve installed by a professional last year and it worked fine. Could you provide any idea how to fix the problem?? Thanks a lot.

The thermocouple is working as it should. The heat is how it "knows" the pilot is lit. You don't want gas being emitted without the pilot light burning. Had that happen once with an old furnace. When I came home the house was full of gas. Good thing I don't smoke.
Assuming you don't have a strong draft blowing it out get a professional to look at it. If you don't get enough gas into the burner it can cause an increase in carbon monoxide. This is serious. Don't play with it. Get it fixed.