what causes it...

hi,
when i turn off my cold water tap (any one - even the garden hose) i hear a 'bang' from somewhere in the house.
if i turn the tap off slowly it doesn't happen.
anyone know what it is and if it is harmful to my plumbing system..
it seems to have got louder since I recently change the bath toilet and sink in my upstairs bathroom.
thanks
none
On 10/04/04 "none" snipped-for-privacy@none.com Asks

In all honesty there is no way for anyone here to know what is causing your noise....all we can do is speculate
The most likely thing is a loose bibb washer at the end of a stem.

Not usually unless it comes all the way loose, then it could cause some damage.
Doug
thanks Doug,
i just thought since i have heard it at other peoples houses too it would be a really common problem someone could put their finger on straight away?
cheers,
Asks

Water hammer and/or loose pipe straps have caused this type of symptom before.
Asks

I have seen this cured via installing a damper or even putting a tee in the line if it is 1/2" pipe also use a 1/2 to 3/4 reducer then on that 3/4 reducer install a 4-6" piece of 3/4 pipe with a cap mount this vertically. This will create a dead air space that will act as a damper for the banging. I have seen them installed and seem to work. any comments? Jon
On 10/25/04 "user" snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.net writes in part:

That design is called an air chamber and frankly they are a joke. In a very short period of time the air is absorbed by water surging into the air space. Unless you provide access with a valve to drain the water and restore the air every week this design is worthless.
Anyone who would suggest such a design is a fool. Now do you feel better that you've been insulted?
Doug
No good. It fills with water in 30 days.