Re: water pressure tank in rural area

I guess considering the serious problems we can all have, low water pressure doesn't rate on the charts. I'm getting used to it, but when I go to my mother's house- her town water pressure, coming off a mountain 1,200' higher is incredible. I don't know what her pressure is, how could I find out? Would the entire town, if all on the same piping system all have the same pressure? Then I could ask the town officials- just out of curiosity.
The real problem, though, is if the pressure is on the low end of the range, then, say, I flush the toilet, while the toilet is refilling, then I turn on the sink- the pressure is very low. Usually, I'll just let it run for a few minutes, then apparently, it hits the bottom end of the pressure range and the pump kicks in- which pushes it to the top end of the range quickly.

To check pressure you use a gage you can attach to a hose bibb, you can get these at most hardware stores. What kind of pipe do you have? Copper, Plastic, or Galvanized? Dale