leakage of brown water

I am seeing a leakage of brown water seeping out the bottom of my toilet.
There is maybe half a cupful per day. Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it?
snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote in

By "the bottom" I assume you mean at the floor? If so, it is the wax seal and needs to be replaced.
Eric

Yes, I mean at the floor.
What exactly is the wax seal, and how do I replace it?
snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote in

Google is your friend:
<http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/bath/fixt_repair/toilet/wax_ring/replac e.htm>
Eric G. wrote:

It's probably that, but wax toilet rings don't just start leaking by themselves. That usually occurs because the toilet bowl isn't securely fastened down to the drain flange and rocks a bit when people get on or off it.
Also, brown isn't a usual color for toilet water unless someone's really sick, so you may well find there's more than just the wax ring to replace, if there's a wood floor under the toilet it may be rotting and need repairing, and the drain flange itself, if metal, could be rusted out.
I hate to sound like a pessimist, but don't plan for certain on it being just a half hour job needing only the replacement of a $2 wax ring.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)