leakage of brown water

I am seeing a leakage of brown water seeping out the bottom of my toilet.

There is maybe half a cupful per day. Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it?

Reply to
bob

snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote in news:1183688681.894785.196450 @z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

By "the bottom" I assume you mean at the floor? If so, it is the wax seal and needs to be replaced.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Yes, I mean at the floor.

What exactly is the wax seal, and how do I replace it?

Reply to
bob

snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Google is your friend:

Reply to
Eric G.

It's probably that, but wax toilet rings don't just start leaking by themselves. That usually occurs because the toilet bowl isn't securely fastened down to the drain flange and rocks a bit when people get on or off it.

Also, brown isn't a usual color for toilet water unless someone's really sick, so you may well find there's more than just the wax ring to replace, if there's a wood floor under the toilet it may be rotting and need repairing, and the drain flange itself, if metal, could be rusted out.

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but don't plan for certain on it being just a half hour job needing only the replacement of a $2 wax ring.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia