help with sealing threaded pvc leak

I have a 2-1/2" PVC threaded male going into an in ground pool pump. This was leaking, so I pulled out the old piece, cleaned the threads, Teflon taped up a new piece and threaded it in. Damn if it doesn't still leak (though, not as bad). As a non-plumber I can sure appreciate the skill even these simple jobs can take. Anyway, the leak is very minor, about a drip every 5 seconds.
My question is, what kinds of silicon or sealant can I purchase to put around the area to seal this leak? I don't want to have to replace these pieces again to try to fix the leak a 2nd time. Is there silicon I can buy that would be able to fix this? Something designed for stopping these types of leaks? I have tried a couple silicones on it from Home Depot, but they don't do anything but make a mess.

buy
but
Silicone won't work. You'll have to take it apart and do it over. If the pump body is plastic, I'd look real close to see if there isn't a small crack causing the leak.
MM
Thanks Mark. Not the answer I wanted to hear though! ;) Yes, the pump body is plastic. I used pink teflon tape which is heavier then the normal white stuff. Is this best for this application? Also, how many times times around should a wrap the teflon tape on the threads?
Thanks again.

Usually three times around with teflon tape is enough. If you got it good and tight and it still leaks, you may have cracked the pump body.
MM

do the same thing teflon tape ,pipe dope .but use a new male adapter
I usually put pipe dope or teflon paste over the teflon tape if teflon tape is not working by itself. Hope this helps.