Gas fire thermocouple

The thermocouple on my gas fire has stopped working. The pipe has fractured where it joins the thermocouple and the gas fire won't stay lit after igniting. I see there's plenty of 'universal' thermocouples in the usual DIY shops, are they a straight forward swap over or should I call the services of a gas engineer?
Krusty,
Take the old thermocouple to the hardware store, and they'll match it up.
Sorry, what I need to know is if I undo the compression joint holding the thermocouple will gas leak...or is it purely electrical within that part?
it wont leak there.