Anyone here using the IRC

Page 2 of 2

I've heard the IPC interpreted both ways on this point. Many inspectors read the code as saying a house may get by with a 2" vent. Others quote the code article that says the main vent stack shall continue undiminished from the building drain through the roof. From this the say that in every dwelling there must be one main stack and if the building drain is 3", the stack must be 3" all the way.
MM
You got it. May is ask permmison, Shall is Law. Its 3 " then.

I prefer a stack all the way through the roof. In my area, most of our plumbers have switched over to the new code and only make on penetration through the roof with a 2".
Then they catch every single remaining fixture in the house with a studor vent.
Personally, I don't like it. But I can see where the savings on time and material make the all-studor vented (with one penetration) significantly more efficient (from a monetary point-of-view only).
Frankly, I've wondered why the code insists on one penetration through the roof. I would think a vent stack studor vented in the attic area more than sufficient. I've not looked into the matter as to why code requires the one penetration. Seems to me no penetrations would be favorable.

Studor vents only allow air INTO the system. A vent through the roof is necessary to let air OUT of the system, which is needed in order to prevent traps from blowing from upstream pressure.
MM
"Mark Monson"

traps from blowing from upstream pressure.
I've been out of the trade too long. Does the UPC allow these Studor vents instead of a venting system? I haven't really been a full-time plumber since 1985, though I do a lot on the side. Studor vents weren't even around back then.

Here in NC we use IPC. Inspectors allow mechanical vents (Studor is the brand name of one of the better ones) but every building has to have at least one through the roof vent.
A couple more reasons why mechanical vents can never totally eliminate atmospheric vents:
1.The entire city sewer system depends on individual building vents to equalize pressures.
2. The rotting organic material in sewage creates methane gas which has to have a place to go.
MM
For # 1 that's why I believe in a Whole House Trap.
I know of no reputable Plummer who would use an automatic or mechanical or ' Studor ?' vent.

I would never live in a home without a House Trap. There is not any proof a no house trap aids any individual home in venting. You do use a FAV in a whole house trap, right ? Check Kenny's post on a local gas spill.
Log Home ? I only did one, VTR'ed it. They did not make those kind of vents back then.

ya but on the flip side it keeps a lot of toxic and dangerous gases from entering the structure. And in the big cities and populated areas where everyone and thier grandmother are plumbers, it adds a second defense against people who don't have a clue how a DWV system is designed and use mechanical vents.
kenny b
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (jim donovan) wrote in message

what new code states that a plumbing system dosen't require a stack.
kenny b
Prolly Colorado....

Hey ! Maybe its that Engineer 101 form Florida who wrote it up......you know Hots buddy ?