IRC - Plumbing

Any plumbers who know the IRC here?

On my final inspection today I got gigged for not having shut off valves at each fixture (bath vanity sink and toilet).

This is plumbed with PEX, with a MANIBLOK.

"Fixtures shall be connected to drain and water lines. Shut off valves shall be installed for all plumbing fixtures [IRC P2903 & P2903.8.6] Comments: Need shut offs at each fixture."

That's what a maniblok does--provides a shut off for each supply line.

In my home county only the maniblok shut offs are required. The plumbing supply house doesn't even have 3/8" x 3/8" PEX shut off valves. But in the county where I am building, I failed.

Someone is right per IRC and someone is wrong. What do you think?

Reply to
DouginUtah

What comes to mind is that if your kids are at home alone and the kitchen tap gives out and starts spraying water all over the place, the most obvious place for a shut off is, well, under the sink. Codes like this are usually designed so that even the most ignorant person could, in a pinch, have a hope in hell of turning off the water, gas, electricity and so forth in case of an emergency. Considering the cost of a plain-jane shut off valve, and in particular the ease with PEX installations, I don't see why you wouldn't put a shut off at each fixture.

Reply to
AC

Not to mention, it's just plain good sense to have the valve right under the fixture.

S. Barker

IMO you are probably correct per the IRC...........

Yes, a PEX system with a valved manifold satisfies the requirement for a fixture shutoff.

But is "situation" would you rather reach under the sink & flip a 1/4 turn angle stop or run to the manifold (if you know where it is) ?

Once at the manifold which valve to do you flip? Or (if installed) just cut off all water (hot & cold) to the manifolds?

I've done a couple PEX systems & I love the valved manifold (kinda spendy, though)

yeah, I toyed with the idea of no angle stops on my first installation......cleaner, easier, cheaper installation

but I still chose to install angle stops......just made better sense.

While you might regret NOT having an angle stop, you'll never regret having one. :)

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

When one of the someones is the inspector, he is by definition always right!

As others mention valves at the fixture are a really good idea.

Reply to
PeterD