What are integral stops? (+ more plumbing q)

I came accross these in plumbing cofiguration, mostly for showers are integral stops just a shut off valve, or do they differ in some way from normal shut off valve. are they a part of some other setup, or an individual item? What would be the best way of taking care of shut off valves for a shower panel? My setup: ( 2nd floor bathroom)

3/4" from basement to upstairs, stubs for shower, from 3/4" continues 1/2" to wc, and to bath + sink. There are main shut offs on the 3/4" branches at basement level. I was going to put individual shut off valves on each fixture connection, but the shower has me a little stumped. The only way i can have the valves accessible is from other side of the wall (hallway) though access panel. I could have a small opening (4"x4") with blank cover (would blend with receptacles around the hallway) What would be the proper/standard/best way of installing the valves? The shower is a panel that will connect with 1/2" screw on tubing to the stubs in wall, all mixing valves etc are part of the panel.

thanks.

Martin

Integral stops are small shutoffs built in to the shower valve casting. Often, when you go to use them after a qtr-century, they won't turn:-(

I would much prefer the access panel in the hall. Use ball valves.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Use ball valves. THAT AREN'T MADE IN CHINA!

(Pet peeve -- any time I used a Chinese plumbing component, the job had to be reworked because of problems in the component.)

Reply to
Robert Barr

Amen, bro. Excellent point. Jim

Reply to