Yup - woodpecker

Whoever guessed it was a pileated woodpecker pulling my old stump apart was right on the money. I thought it was too much work for a bird but today I surprised the little (not so little) devil. He flew to another tree 50' away to see if I was going to stay or leave - and then back to another tree 20' on the other side of the stump. Went on the far side of that tree and peeked around to check me out.

That would have been me... :)
Pretty amazing what they'll do, ain't it?
Like you, wouldn't have thought it possible from them until I saw them in action...

just be glad its not visiting your home every morning at 5 AM drilling at your homes trim. my woodpecker had a schedule:( his stop here was first thing in the morning:(
I had all the trim covered with aluminimum to silence him
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I had one that liked my TV antenna; I've read they hit metal to signal other woodpeckers that this is his territory.
Hey I can beat that, my satilite dish is 10' from my bedroom window, little bastard sits on the back and drums away at it, any ideas on a fix for that one? Neighbour used to do road construction, built an 18' x 40' cuvert, 2 guys, 40,000 rivets, wasn't half as bad as a woodpecker on sat dish.

just be glad its not visiting your home every morning at 5 AM drilling at your homes trim. my woodpecker had a schedule:( his stop here was first thing in the morning:(
I had all the trim covered with aluminimum to silence him

you sure he is pecking at dish, check the surrounding wood, he is probably attacking wood and dish is noisey because of vibration.

Not necessarily...they're bad about attacking power poles even though they're not infested. They do enough damage from an economic point of view of forcing replacement of poles by utilities that EPRI sponsored research to try to uncover causes and possible remediation/ preventative measures. Turns out apparently the humming of wires is near enough that of some delectable species of bugs they were attracted in the hope of a meal. Perhaps a similar noise in an antenna/dish support could be an attractant. The attempted cure for the power poles was to try some frequency-modifying additions to poles which were continually being attacked. I'm not aware how successful they may have been -- or not... :)
No he sits on the back metal bracket and hammers on the back of the dish, I'm going to put some chicken wire over back to see if that will discourage, just hope he doesn't then move to front.

you sure he is pecking at dish, check the surrounding wood, he is probably attacking wood and dish is noisey because of vibration.
Greg wrote:

If you can rig it, a fine wire across where he normally lands will keep him off his perch...then he will head for the roof above your bedroom :o)

One year we had a red-headed woodpecker land on the roof edge and peck at the side of the aluminum eavestroughing. Early in the morning for several days.
Man was that loud, even though it was on the other side of the house. Would wake the dead. In fact it did ;-)
Some of the time the bird is simply trying to make a loud noise to attract a mate, rather than actively looking for food. Like grouse "drumming" in the spring.
[Or the brain-damaged grouse that kept trying to attack us one spring.]
We eventually managed to scare the woodpecker off. Or, maybe it found a mate.
I hate to think of what a pileated woodpecker would sound like doing that. More like an axe taken to a steel barrel.
Mind you, he'd destroy the eavestroughing pretty quick.
--
Chris Lewis,

dpb wrote:

Bugs softened up the wood - woodpeckers just ate the bugs and left some crumbs :o)