*YOU* are responsible for high gas prices

Page 6 of 8
On 3/18/2012 8:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good site.
OP has his head where the sun don't shine.
Replacing these materials with those from natural sources, e.g. paper bags, would probably consume much more energy from oil than the manufacture of the plastic.
Add pictures here
✖

So far it seems as if a course in Economics 101 might be in order.
Among every thing else, cost is a function of supply and demand. Saudi Arabia et al. says there is a good supply oil. But how about demand? Forget the plastics impact. Look at foreign consumers of oil. Consider China. Their economy is doing very well because American manufacturing is going down the tubes. So lots of Chinese are buying cars with the money we send them. Look at where we spend our money. Wal-Mart, Harbor Freight, Home Depot and similar. Look at Radio Shack and Best Buy.
You know the rest of them. Go to the store and buy an American Flag. When my son was in Desert Storm he brought home a typical Iraqi head covering, The damn thing has a made in China tag.
Here's the problem. Every time there is a tanker of oil is on the market we are bidding against our own money that now is in the hands of the Chinese.
So if you think that the president has any control of oil prices put down your copy of Playboy and start reading the business section of your newspaper.
Oh, you don't get the paper? Do me a favor and do not vote in the next election. Your choice should be made on understanding what is happening in this country and why some of the schemes that are proposed won't work.
Before you take that economics class, review what you already know but think it does not apply.
Two things you already know.
It takes money to make money and There is NO free lunch.
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖

Actually we make just as many things as we ever have, and even for inflation it has increased steadily. What has happened is a very large average increase in productivity over the last 20 years. We have lost considerably more jobs to robots then Chinese especially the higher paying ones.

Of course the President has some control. To the extent that the adminsitration's rules and regulations put obstacles in the path of developing our own resources it impacts greatly. The dumbest thing a president can say (and this has been said by people of both parties) is that there is nothing they can do immediately. While that is true, if someone had decided at the time of the last big surge to do something about it, THIS surge might not have been as large.
✖

But it's *NOT* true. If there was a reasonable energy (and foreign) policy there wouldn't be the worry in the market. If he had a plan - bring on the pipeline, drill-baby-drill, and open federal lands, sure that oil wouldn't be coming onto the market for five years, but very few speculators are going to stick their neck out when the momentum is down.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 18, 7:20 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I remember hearing much the same stuff in 1980 when Carter's failed policies had produced similar results. We were running out of oil and there was no easy solution. We had to learn to conserve, to do with less. With the election of Ronald Reagan, those failed policies were replaced with sound ones and free market economics. Oil headed straight down and was at $8 a barrel within a few years.
Just suppose we drilled in ANWR and found an oil field equal to Saudi Arabia? What do you think that would do to the price? Until you get rid of the politicians who won't even let exploratory drilling to find out what's there, no one will ever know.
Add pictures here
✖
I've been rather unimpressed by a certain Kenyan, who prohibits drilling, shuts down wells, and then says it's the American peoples fault for not inflating our tires. How about if we drill for oil, and you can inflate your black lips?
Just suppose we drilled in ANWR and found an oil field equal to Saudi Arabia? What do you think that would do to the price? Until you get rid of the politicians who won't even let exploratory drilling to find out what's there, no one will ever know.
Add pictures here
✖

My, my Christopher your blatant bigotry and racism are showing. For shame, a pox on thee,
Add pictures here
✖
Actually, the restoration was a bit before I was born. However, I've heard of it, and benefitted greatly from it.
So, how does that relate to a foreign born election stealing Chicago thug, who has ordered the government to deny drilling permits, for oil?

He must have missed the revelation.
Learn more about Jesus <http://www.lds.org/ensign/1988/10/priesthood-restoration?lang=eng
Add pictures here
✖

The president has control over gas prices? See the experts at FOX disagree with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzEnKdBAb_o

You can't have it both ways.
Add pictures here
✖

Don't want to, I disagreed with them then and I disagree with them now. Pres can influence gas prices over the longer term. I mentioned when the Bush thingy came about that while there was relatively little he could do short term for his spike, there was quite a bit he could do to at least lessen the next one.
✖
Charlie wrote:

"My fellow Americans,
"In order to hasten the recovery of our economy and reduce inflation, I, as President of the United States, am taking the following actions:
"1. Tomorrow I will direct the Secretary of the Interior to open bids for exploration and production in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve. Further, he will be directed to award winning permits within the next three months.
"2. Also tomorrow, I am waving all objections to the proposed Keystone Pipeline. I hope our Canadian brothers can get to work on this project in the shortest time possible.
"3. In addition to the above, I am renewing all drilling permits in the Gulf of Mexico, and here I am referring specifically to those that were suspended due to the BP oil spill a year ago. Further, all federal moratoriums on offshore exploration and drilling, off any coast, are hereby repealed.
"Thank you and good night. "
If you don't think the price of gasoline would drop like a stone after a speech such as that, you're nuts.
Add pictures here
✖

He left more than just an economic mess to clean up. If the EPA- an agency formed under a (real) Republican- was not around, we'd still have Love Canal and all the other toxic cesspools that have a direct effect on our drinking water and people's lives. Our water supply is in the same boat as our domestic oil supply. When we run out of gas, we walk or ride a bike, but what do you do when the water runs out?

Add pictures here
✖
John Carter wrote:

You can create water by burning Hydrogen. Every other drop of water on the planet is "used" water. That is, it passed through something else before it got to you.
Read "Dune."
Add pictures here
✖

The problem of insufficient amounts of water, whether used or not, is a real problem. On top of too much water (rain, flooding from rising seawater levels) in other places. And neither problem is easy to solve.
--
Best regards
Han

Actually our water supply is in the same boat as our oil supply for a lot of the same reasons, mainly government screwing around with it.
✖
Mark wrote:

Yes. Definitely.

As to "holding it in reserve," that's like the secretary who's in charge of the supply cabinet saying "No, you can't have a pencil. There's only one left. If I gave it to you, then I'd be out."
They physics of solar and wind do not and cannot supply our energy needs. It would take a solar collector farm the size of the Los Angeles basin (~1200 sq miles) to supply the electrical needs of California. During the day. The cost for materials and maintenance of such a contraption is almost incalculable.
The good news is that the citizens of Los Angeles would be living in the dark.
The only way to improve that situation is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the sun. We cannot run this country off of sunbeams, or unicorns on treadmills.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/19/2012 7:19 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Doesn't LA get most of its power from nuclear in Nevada?
I would add increased nuclear to your presidential proclamation list.
In addition, revamp the EPA eliminating CO2 as a pollutant and do away with the ethanol mandate and boutique gasolines.
Balance the Federal budget to stop international devaluation of the dollar.
Add pictures here
✖

The different formulations are a point few mention. They prevent an efficient market because if you have excess of one formulation, it may not be able to be sent to where it's needed.

And again, a point few mention. The devaluation of the dollar has been a substantial contributor to the increase in price of oil.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/19/2012 6:19 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I wonder if we could burn sun dried Liberals for fuel? I know there's not much substance to them but there are cultures that burn excrement for fuel. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

The smell would probably be the same as burning camel shit.
Add pictures here
✖