*YOU* are responsible for high gas prices

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:rPadndQ2r8MqFPrSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Maybe I'm too gullible, but the hullabaloo about the pipeline from the environmentally concerned (that's my take) made sense to me. If that is really untrue, let's find out. For now, doing stripmining and cooking the rocks to eventually get syrupy gooey oil that apparently is quite corrosive, that is not something that should be undertaken lightly. And that OK you talk about, that was hanky panky between the pipeline company and the State Dept, for chrissake. So, it was right to put a stop to the process and reconsider things.

I had the impression that the republicans thought they could get a quick campaign issue out of it, but apparently the democrats were able to turn the tables.

The jobs issues were apparently very dependent on one's views. The calculations on the numbers of jobs varied from a few thousand to 100's of thousands. Given that how you count them and how you calculate dependent jobs is an art for devils, I don't pay that much attention to what is said. I understand that pipeline construction is rather specialized, so it is almost sure that local unemployment won't be helped much. Do I care about the specialized jobs? Perhaps not as much as I should.

Reply to
Han

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fk28g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I have no answer. I laack the details.

Reply to
Han

Uh, no, of course not. The Republicans have plans for budget and deficit control. We've seen the Democrats plan in action.

Reply to
HeyBub

so you think pencils that are cheap and can be ordered anytime you need more make a good analogy to a valuable natural resource like oil?

I happen to think we SHOULD build the Keystone pipeline and drill in the US for oil, because we ARE going to need every drop we can get. But by the same token we need to find a way to get folks to stop wasting it.. and the only way I see to do that is raise the price.

I also agree alternatives are not ready yet.

It's going to get really ugly if the tank runs dry and have no altenatives ready to go.

I'd say the world supply tank is at 1/2 now and that includes all the new places you want to drill.

Lets just keep going with the A/C cranked at full and cruising at 85?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

So, then, the difference between your position and that of a die-hard Luddite is not great.

Put on a sweater. Drive 55. Better yet, get back to nature. Live as God intended, at one with the beasts of the field and the lilies of the valley. Have a life that is brutal and short, but filled with contentment.

Explain why you say "we ("we" who?) need to find a way to get folks to stop wasting [energy]..."

Look, the Romans denuded the forests of Europe and North Africa for wood to make charcoal. When Europeans ran out of wood, they used coal. When coal became too expensive to mine and transport, oil came to the fore. The known world was ruled by charcoal, industrial revolution was run by coal, space was conquered during the reign of oil.

We have 200 years worth of (known) oil in the U.S., 400 years worth of coal, and way beyond both of those in natural gas. It is way premature to get all exercised about "running out."

Reply to
HeyBub

My, my Christopher your blatant bigotry and racism are showing. For shame, a pox on thee,

Reply to
Charlie

Of course they don't buy everything. Some of it they simply steal. They never saw a copyright that they respected.

Reply to
Charlie

innews: snipped-for-privacy@k14g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

...and EVERY penny has been again spent (the deficit did not go back down).

...because "It's George Bush's fault!" ...no matter what "it" is.

16 years of public education, followed by a career working for the government.
Reply to
krw

Partisan economics. "How much is 2 plus 2?" "How much do you *want* it to be?"

Pipeline jobs will probably go to Canadians working for or contracted to Keystone. The right is so desperate to create some sort of issue with the pipeline they don't even care who profits from it. It's "drill, baby, drill" all over again. Fortunately there are enough super-toxic Superfund cleanup sites left to remind us that businesses have been well-known to leave some very serious messes behind them as they skip away whistling the "Can't touch me" bankruptcy song. Then who gets to pay? Joe Taxpayer.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

"Estimated U.S. oil shale reserves total an astonishing 1.5 trillion barrels of oil - or more than five times the stated reserves of Saudi Arabia."

Oil Shale Reserves

"Currently, the United States consumes 19.6 million barrels per day, of oil..."
Now I know that maths is hard, but follow along:

1,500,000,000,000 bbl of shale oil / 20,000,000 bbl/day = 75,000 days 75,000 days / 365 days/yr = 205.479 years

That's just for shale oil.

I agree with you about minimizing waste, but definitions of "waste" vary. I view driving 85 instead of 55 as better use of my productive time while others (you?) would claim I was wasting gasoline!

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:NPednSGyCLuuAPrSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I'm sure you'll think this is just propaganda, but they must have gotten the data somewhere ...

Reply to
Han

Mark wrote in news:99a0851b-d791-44eb-a518- snipped-for-privacy@w32g2000vbt.googlegroups.com:

One good alternative is LNG/CNG. It's just missing infrastructure, something that has existed in Europe at least since the 70's. Another good (but expensive) alternative is hybrids such as the Prius, or Explorer (taxis in NY City). If NY taxi drivers really had problems with them they would have said so, and I have asked.

Reply to
Han

Maybe Republicans can use the same logic to block B. Hussein from giving more speeches? Think of the yellow bellied snail darters, man!

.

That's always the excuse the radical environmentalists use to block everything whether it;s a pipeline, windmill, or solar farm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And, if we'd started the project 5 years ago, we'd have 1 year of benefit, so far.

.

But at least it shows your true colors. You'd come up with ANY excuse to justify Obama's blocking it. Another favorite lib excuse you could try is "But if we start on the project today, it won't be available until 4 years from now...."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's a good one after one of your excuses for blocking the Keystone pipeline was over CO2. Which of course is totally bogus because that Canadian oil is going to be developed and burned somewhere, be it here or China.

Better take that up with NJ transit. They were using it in some of their busses and gave it up for reasons that had nothing to do with infrastructure.

Not many vehicles on the roads there using it either.

CBS News, not exactly a conservative organization, ran a story about a week ago showing how it takes 17 years of average driving to make a hybrid pay off and what a joke they are.

Reply to
trader4

Time is money. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Does that source possibly include their ass? Typical lib nonsense. I can give you scores of real data from real documented sources. Facts like federal spending grew 40% from 2007 to 2011. None of that has any impact on you. At the most, you say you don't know all the fact.

But some lib crackpots puts up some crap with no source, nothing, and you buy it. Go figure. You show me where Reagan increased spending by

40% in 4 years. Put up or shut up.
Reply to
trader4

NO, I am NOT in any way responsible for hight gas prices, moron!

Reply to
Twayne

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:1f871806- snipped-for-privacy@v22g2000vby.googlegroups.com:

The shorter the hydrocarbon chain, the greater the ration of H2O to CO2, and the greater the energy yield. Therefore there is less CO2 produced per unit of energy produced, or natural gas produces less CO2 than oil. That's simple chemistry. And you're right - if the Chinese want the oil, the Canadians may very well sell it to them. It's just that before that shale oil is even burned, it takes heat (something burned and CO2 generated) to get it out of the rocks. Plus the energy required to make it clean enough to transport and distill.

LNG/CNG engines were not that powerfull in torque. I think that has improved since. But, indeed the old buses weren't too good. In NYCity they seem to still run last I looked.

It has gone up and down. Mostly because of taxation schemes, I think.

Perhaps. But the taxi drivers didn't complain, in fact they liked the dependability compared to their last favorite, the Crown Vic. I think in heavy use a hybrid may pay off faster than in my tye of 10K miles/year. Of course, it would depend on the price of gas ... .

Reply to
Han

So, you're responsible for the high prices?

.

Time is money. ^_^

TDD

Reply to