Yellow Jacket traps

Some good discussion on hornets! I have yellow jackets, and can't find the nest. I'm on 3+acres heavily wooded. The do love to bask on the umbrella on my deck, as well as on the grill. Do yellow jacket traps do any good,, or do they just attract more YJ's?

Thanks, Frank

Reply to
Frank Dennis

:) The do love to bask on the umbrella on my deck, as well as on the grill. :) Do yellow jacket traps do any good,, or do they just attract more YJ's?

They probably will be more effective later in the Summer when their diet changes from meats to sugars. You might try keeping them 10 feet away from where you are at to reduce contact from the ones that are attracted to the trap. Might make sure they are yellow Jackets and not paper wasps.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

Bait works, traps are a waste of time, however, you should get the whole story:

----------------------------------------------------------- spam: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov wordgame:123(abc): (Barry Mann) [sorry about the puzzle, spammers are ruining my mailbox]

Barry Mann

That just means that the bait for the trap should change from something meaty earlier in summer and something sweet in late summer. That is because they are actually beneficial by eating other bugs.

So when they made a nest in my eave, I let them be, and have not tried the traps. I heard they do not reuse the same nest, and they are NOT back this year.

The few that did get lost in my home had nothing to eat or drink, so they were on their last legs. This German yellowjacket did not hardly energy to move, much less fly away:

Although, I have run across some sort of yellowjackets in the woods that live in the ground that can be nasty if disturbed. They can sting repeatedly (one was humping my ankle).

Reply to
David Efflandt