yards of concrete

Page 2 of 2
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My first thoughts when I saw the OP
1. His calculator battery died. 2. His pinky finger is broken.
God help us!
Harry K
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Since when did public schools teach math?
<<Since when did public schools teach math?>>
They teach it. But it has "evolved" over time:
Evolution of the Math Problem
1960: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of this price. What is his profit?
1970 (traditional math): A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of this price, in other words $80. What is his profit?
1970 (new math): A logger exchanges a set L of lumber for a set M of money. The cardinality of set M is 100 and each element is worth $1. Make one hundred dots representing the elements of the set M. The set C is a subset of M and its complement is the set P. Circle the elements of the set P of profit.
1980: A logger sells a truckload of wood for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: underline the number 20.
1990 (outcome based education): By cutting down beautiful forest trees, a logger makes $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? (Topic for class participation: How did the forest birds and squirrels feel?)
2002: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $120. How does Arthur Andersen determine that his profit margin is $60?
| | <<Since when did public schools teach math?>> | | They teach it. But it has "evolved" over time: | | Evolution of the Math Problem | | 1960: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of | production is 4/5 of this price. What is his profit? | <S>
I stopped after 1960.
I think a fifth is a pretty good deal ---- especially if it's Scotch (Single Malt) <G>
-- PDQ
-- |

It doesn't matter. If the logger was Canadian they wouldn't let him sell the lumber here.

the 50s I think they stopped in the 60s because it harmed the kid's self esteem when you told him 2+2 was not 6

I went to Catholic school. You either learn or they beat it into you.
When I went to USMC Basic in 1966, a DI was screaming in my face.
I said, "You don't scare me. I went to Catholic school." I thought he was going to bust a gut laughing. Basic was easier after that. Come to find out, he went to Catholic school, too.
Steve
-snip-

Can I guess that you went to Boot Camp in San Diego? I went to PI in 68 and I can't imagine any drill instructor not beating your ass for what you said. I never saw a DI so much as crack a smile while I was there. [I'm not complaining-- I agree with the motto at the PI rifle range- 'The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war.'- boot camp sucked for good reason.]
I did radio-telegraph school at San Diego & couldn't believe how different boot camp looked out there. [and no- the Marines didn't have any telegraphs in 1968. But if they had, we could have used them.<g>]
Jim