WTB door knob catch recessed in wall

I am looking for an item that doubles as door catch / wall protector. It is a plastic cup recessed into the wall with rubber/plastic "fingers", like the mouth of a garbage disposal, that both protects the knob from marring the wall as well as holding the door open an extra few inches closer to the wall.
I've been to hardware stores, Borgs, millwork shops, Rockler, and Googled ad nauseum to no avail. I am sure I saw such an animal somewhere, although from the blank looks I am getting at stores, I am beginning to fear I hallucinated it. Or maybe I just invented it? Yeah...that's the ticket...
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
KaiS. wrote:

I've not seen one which grabs the knob, but I had a problem with the heavy door to my office not staying open because the frame was out of kilter in a direction which made gravity move the door about 3/4 of the way shut.
I solved the problem with a baseboard mounted door catch, here's a couple of examples:
http://www.vandykes.com/product/02005430 /
The one I got was a brown plastic version of that and cost about $3. I bought it at our neighborhood locksmith's place.
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref 333
If you mount one of those gadgets in the right location it'll keep the doorknob from hitting the wall unless someone really gives it a shove. But, you can always use a regular doorknob wall protector to solve that.
HYH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

He didn't say he wanted a door to stay open. He may have some other use in mind for the item, such as, er, ah... penis extender.
Another possibility is a magnetic door stop
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product.asp?product $9412GLDzz
Good luck, H

KaiS. wrote:

I appreciate the sites, but I am in fact seeking something that catches the doorknob itself after the knob penetrates the plane of the wall.
The door I'm dealing with is at the top of a basement stairs, installed so the newly mobile grandson doesn't take a header down to the pool table. As the door had to be on the side opposite the hand rail, I am trying to minimize its obtrusion into the path of any shoulders ascending the stairway.
Failing that, the Van Dykes device suggested by Jeff W. may be the way to go in combination with a knob recess cut and finished into the drywall. Looks like it has a low profile / tight clearance. Thanks.