Would you buy a Ryobi Pressure Washer from Home Depot

Page 1 of 2
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
I am in the market for a pressure washer, cold water gasoline, in the 2500 psi range. Where I live in Maine is very rural. Only one local dealer sells them, a John Deere dealer that has a 2700 psi with a Honda engine for $899. This unit is noticeably heavy duty in the appearance of fittings and hose. It
has a 1 year warranty.
Our localHome Depot is having a special on a Ryobi washer with a 7hp Subaru engine, 3 year warranty, cost $500. This is a 3000 psi machine. The machines hoses and fittings look more consumer grade than professional. I checked with
all our local small engine dealers and only one will repair this unit. In fact that is where Home Depot gets its warranty service done. So buying this machine is obviously a gamble. Since this is a big promo here has anyone had experience with the Depot machine or the John Deer for that matter?
We also have a Sears, I would buy things I could exchange there but service is bad. I needed a typewriter reapaired once, 6 months later and many phone calls later nothing had been done

Having owned a couple of Ryobi tools, NO, I'd not buy anything with their name on it. As you can already see, minimal support down the road.
On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:55:38 -0400, Michael Bushey

You shouldn't but I would.
Some people equate value with how much money they spend. You are one of those people.

True, but I've yet to find the value in Ryobi.
wrote in message

Same here, Ryobi seems to be a line made for big box stores so they could sell something that *looks* like a real tool.
wrote in message

http://www.ryobi-group.co.jp/en/ir/data/2004annual/corporate.pdf I'd bet these guys would not agree with you. Chairman and CEO
Hiroshi Urakami
President and COO
Susumu Yoshikawa
Clark Griswold wrote: You're partly correct. HD owns Ryobi.
================= MTD owns Ryobi, Troy Built, Yard-man, McCulloch, Cub Cadet, & Bolens. If HD also owns Ryobi, then does that mean MTD owns HD or that HD owns MTD?

I don't think so.

Correct http://www.mtdproducts.com/home.jsp
Bahahah. Just because Ryobi sells at HD???
So just because Hitachi is only sold at Lowes and not HD, then Lowes owns Hitachi???
Geeeeez

I think that Rigid is a Home Depot brand. Maybe the poster got confused between Ryobi and Rigid.
"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

Wrong again...the brand is Ridgid and was initially a new product line from Rigid Tool (the pipe wrench folks). After a while they sold the name off to somebody (Chiwanese, I think?)...but was never more than a HD "single-outlet" product, not HD-owned product/manufacturer.
wrote in message

After doing some research it was found that Techtronic Industries owns Ryobi (sold exclusively at HD).
This is from TTI's www.ttigroup.com . 2001 March - Entered into a long-term agreement to supply Ryobi power tools to The Home Depot, the world's largest home improvement retailer.
However, I was told from an HD "insider" that HD owns Ryobi. Which, after reading the TTI web site and reading your responses, is up to speculation.

Ryobi is not owned by Home Depot. TTI may even manufacture a special line exclusively for a big account such as Home Depot, or package it differently, but Ryobi tools are available all over the world from sources other than Home Depot.
You will find in the consumer Electronics and appliance industry, all manufacturers provide large accounts with identical units, but with a different model number for each retailer so they can all argue that their competitors do not have the same model number at a lower price. This is a universal practice.
HD & TTI are both publically traded companies, and would have to disclose ownership of each other.
There's simply nothing to speculate.
rusty redcloud

How often are you going to use this tool? If it is once a year, why not rent? If it is a few times a year, the Ryobi will probably do well - as you noted, it is a "consumer" targeted item. If you're going into the pressure washing business, you want the John Deere..

I wouldn't buy any equipment from HomeDepot. They are cheats. This past winter a customer was returning a snow thrower that he only used 1 time and it died. They told him it would be repaired only and it was going to take 5 weeks - in the dead of winter! Jerk off store.

I personally prefer a store that doesn't allow returns. I know I'm getting new, unused equipment when I purchase from them.
Does that make sense or am I wrong?
JimL wrote: ...

No and yes... :)
A. You'd rather have to deal w/ the manufacturer rather than the local store to resolve a DOA-type problem? Doesn't make sense to me...
B. If the product is in factory-sealed container, you're chances are as good as anywhere you're going to get that it is new....it's pretty easy to tell opened merchandise, typically. Floor models or obvious opened should be identified as such either by inspection or note and are worthy of discount or other consideration. If you don't want such merchandise, say so.
Duane,
You describe an idea world, but unfortunately too many items get returned and reshelved as new. Many store employees don't even ask if the returned item is damaged.
Smart consumers ALWAYS ask about return policies on items which could be "no return to store" items.
Gideon
=====
JimL wrote: ...

No and yes... :)
A. You'd rather have to deal w/ the manufacturer rather than the local store to resolve a DOA-type problem? Doesn't make sense to me...
B. If the product is in factory-sealed container, you're chances are as good as anywhere you're going to get that it is new....it's pretty easy to tell opened merchandise, typically. Floor models or obvious opened should be identified as such either by inspection or note and are worthy of discount or other consideration. If you don't want such merchandise, say so.
Gideon wrote:

But they can't re-package it as new packaging....