Worms in the Drain

We have a situation with two lavs back to back that are mirror images of each other. The two tubs. toilets, and sinks are exactly back to back with the plumbing between. Also, I believe the kitchen drain heads over that way passing the tubs, and sinks before hitting the main sewage line which I think is in alignment with the toilets (the vent stack is in the wall there too).

Anyway, drainage from the tubs is sluggish and thus backs up into the opposite tub if the drain is not closed. (Never notice anything from the kitchen but there is a good length of large diameter pipe that would need to fill first).

We get this rodded out every so often but it doesn't take long to slow down again so they are probably not getting it thoroughly enough and any remaining obstruction is going to start collecting into a partial clog again.

I realize the solution here is to get someone to really give it a good cleaning but naturally one won't know the results until years go by and it stays free running.

My question here today is this. Usually when dirty water backs up into a tub from emptying the opposite one it's just some dark dirt matter. But today this happened and looking closely at it I noticed a few worms of some kind. (All together now: Ewwww!) They were black, about a mm thick and maybe 5-8mm long. What are these things? I immediately dumped liquid bleach into the water on both sides even before beginning any cleanup but I'd like to know what these are and how dangerous are they. Should one dump some bleach or something else regularly down the drain?

These may have come up from the street sewer but obviously right then they had to be living in the drain within inches of the tub to get washed over from one to the other.

WTF?

Reply to
Big Giant Head

Our condo had four sewer backups before they finally paid attention. Only once was stuff (wet wipes) removed from sewer. In between times, things seemed fine. After the last, they got a plumber to video the sewer line to find that the old cast iron pipe was disintegrating. The worst condition was along the bottom of the pipe, where it seemed entirely gone. That may be why your drains are troublesome. As for worms, expect anything that communicates with a sewer to have just about anything in it.

FWIW, the plumber told me when he videoed the sewer that salt or sugar hasten the deterioration. The sugar part was surprising.

Reply to
norminn

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:42:34 -0500, Big Giant Head wrote Re Worms in the Drain:

You probably have roots invading your main drain line to the sewer system. The roots case the blockage and also allow small critters (worms) to get into the pipe where the roots enter. When the water backs up from the root blockage, the worms now have a path into the house via a swim upstream.

If you have crack or joint failure that is allowing the roots into the pipe, getting the pipe rodded out will only solve the problem until the roots move in via the crack again. The solution is to fix the pipe.

The worms probably carry typhoid fever, so it's good that you gave them the bleach treatment.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

-snip-

Huh???? Typhoid is transmitted by transmission of fecal material from an infected person. Just don't eat the worms raw & you should be safe from typhoid.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

if roots are in your main sewer and its clay tile just dump rock salt in a washtub and dissolve with hot water leave sit without water use remainder of day.

rock salt kills roots but doesnt hurt the trees.

Reply to
bob haller

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:37:21 -0700, Jim Elbrecht wrote Re Re: Worms in the Drain:

Hello Jim,

I believe we=e are talking about a sewer line here. Can we assume fecal matter is present in the sewer system?

Next we have little wigglers also in the sewer line. Can we assume they come in contact with the fecal matter in the line?

Take it (extrapolate) from there.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Anyone in the house have Typhoid?

Take it from there.

Reply to
Bob F

Sewer. Two toilets. Is it possible that some fecal matter might be in the sewer, which is handling two toilets?

Of course, maybe no one home has typhoid. I think the clorox treatment was a good idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are there little black 1/16"-1/8" things flying nearby, the worms might be something called Mud maggots, bleach kills them, they can also live in houseplants if its what I am thinking about

Reply to
ransley

Here=92s a short video I made about drain worms in my shower because I real= ised that there was very little about them on the web. Hope it helps you be= at these little nasties.

In short, the Drain Worms hatch from the eggs laid by the Drain Fly in a la= yer of scum just above the water level in the pipe. So the worms you kill t= oday will just be replaced by more hatchlings in the following days. The wo= rms grow up to be Drain Flies and then they lay more eggs.=20

You've got three choices to break the life cycle: 1. Kill the flies, 2. Blo= ck the flies from reaching the scum by keeping the drain plugged or covered= when not in use, 3. Open the grate so you can thoroughly clean the scum aw= ay.

And by the way, they are not black. Check out the video for a closer look. Cheers Rusty

Reply to
Rusty Stainless