Work Trucks With Handicapped Plates

Page 1 of 3
I can't figure the right group to post this, but this one made sense, so . . .
I've been wondering over this for several years.
About every 5-10 times I go to Home Depot I see big dualie pickups parked in the handicapped slots. They have these big bolted-on metal tool boxes in the truck bed, and handicapped license plates. The trucks are obviously being used for heavy work. Sometimes I see them pull out of the handicapped slot, drive over to the loading area and load the truck up with construction material such as 10 to 20 sheets of plywood or sheetrock or siding. Other times maybe as many as 50 2x4 studs and other framing lumber, etc.
This isn't the same truck over and over, it's different trucks. I've seen as many as 3 of these tool box equipped dualie trucks in the handicapped slots at the same time.
What explains this? Are construction workers routinely getting handicapped license plates? If so, why?
Ken

I'm going to say the old Italian who owns the company/truck probably has the handicap, and the worker is taking advantage of it.

If the passenger is handicapped, this is valid. However, I'd bet the vast majority are cheating.
Handicap plates are also valid for folks with legitimate, but not visible, physical problems. Certain heart conditions come to mind. Not many construction workers will fall into that category. If you're heart's so bad you can't walk to the door of the store, what kind of work can you do in construction?
I'd be just as suspicious about the construction workers parking their big rigs in the expectant mom parking.
Mike

The handicap plates or sticker is valid only to the one it is issued. Besides the sticker, there's a registration (Florida) that has to be carried. Police officers or parking enforcement officers are authorized to ask for the registration and match it against the driver or passengers ID. If it doesn't match, it's a $250 fine here.
You can get a handicapped badge for you mirror here in OR with a doctor's note. I got one after some knee surgery that expired after 2 months. Look closer at them, they should have expiration dates, and I'd be willing to bet that they're expired. Perhaps these guys were injured...once...and held onto their hangtags. Maybe they just have sympathetic doctors, I see plenty of hangtags that have 9+ year durations, although usually on Buicks and Towncars, etc.
Jerry L wrote:

In article

A friend has handicap plates because her child has a learning disability.
--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Nick Hull wrote:

I was in Broward County, FL last week, and was astonished when I saw a Home Depot with valet parking. Do they load your truck before retrieving it for you? Joe Arnold

Tell the newspaer,they love exposing such stuff.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Ken Hall wrote:

i have steel rods in my back since i was a kid(about 17 yrs. old) that was back in 1962).. i can get a handicapped plate if i wanted one.. some now i am in my late 50's have never considered myself handicapped. now i can do heavy labor on most days, sometimes i cant hardly walk.. this might be the case with them or maybe they need the handicapped plates to get their disability checks and then go out and husstle on the side for odd jobs???
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:53:24 -0600, Ken Hall wrote:

Well, my FIL is an excavator. He's got a couple big diesel pickups that you might see at HD, and yes, he's got handicapped tags. His heart is in pretty bad shape, so it really helps, especially on hot days, FWIW.
Now he may not be completely invalid, but the handicapped spaces are there to be used. If they were full, or even only one spot left, I'm pretty sure he'd look elsewhere.
So, long story short, 'handicapped' can mean a lot of things which aren't readily apparent.
--
The Gnerd

I work in construction (most of hte time), but also have a a bad back (I broke it some few years ago). When the back is acting up, I walk with a cane (OK, I *sort* of walk...). The rest of the time, I walk with a small limp. I can stand in one spot, and heave 4x8 sheets of plywood onto a roof (or a truck bed) most days, as long as I'm carefull and don't twist my back. Picking up my 40 pound daughter and walking from the kitchen to the living pretty much garuntees no walking for a week... I qualify for a handicap plate.
I don't currently have one (pride has its pitfalls), but if I did, on most days a casual observer wouldn't notice that I had any health problems.......
Having said that, I must admit that I tend to look a bit askance at folks that look fine and park in crip spots......
YMMV
--JD

This handicapped parking scam is one of my pet peeves. I have no problem at all with folks that have genuine problems receiving special treatment. I'd like it if I couldn't get around. But, what I see most often is people who have a family member who has a disability that legitimately entitles them to a handicapped parking tag who use it for themselves. This is wrong in spades.
Another thing that I see which makes my blood boil is 350 pound people who have eaten themselves into disability status. Why should this behavior be rewarded with special treatment? Bad life decision deserve bad consequences ...and they need exercise more than any one else.
RB
Ken Hall wrote:

It might be something you couldn't comprehend, but persons with disabilities are capable of working - even in construction!
I had HC plates on my pick up when I was working (building trades).
A local electrical contractor and his brother who works with him are both amputees who have HC placards they use on the trucks they are driving at job sites and park in HC spaces when they are picking up supplies at big box stores.
Most people who have a problem with people using HC spaces are just jealous, but unwilling to pay the price needed to get one of those plates.

Snip
Try posting it in misc.handicap and see what kind of reception it gets there.

How much help is parking 50 feet from the entrance when the exit door is 200 feet away?

Depends. If the temperature is -5 with 30 mph wind and you have a heart condition, it means a lot to get inside. If the temperature is 60 degrees the walk is good exercise. My wife fits that description but does not have a late. Ed

I have two artificial knees, which qualified me for a hanging card, which sits in the glovebox of my GMC 3500 pickup. My wife and kids know that it is not a free parking card. I use it when necessary, but not often. I load my own purchases as the BORG, when I can. There are all sorts of disabilities, and also abuses of the privilege. I personally spoke to a maybe 20 year old guy who pulled into a spot, hung his placard and after walking into the store I asked was that his placard. "No, it's my Fathers" "Well then shame on you for abusing it". To which he smiled, and added "**ck you." I called the cops, they came, ticketed him, waited until he came back to the car and confiscated the placard. "Tell your Father to come to the Police Station and we'll give him back his card". I smiled all the way home thinking about that conversation.
David Babcock wrote:

Very good! I hate seeing the abuse of this, and then no spaces available for someone that really does have a disability.

Mentally handicapped ?:-)
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |