Work Trucks With Handicapped Plates

The best line I ever heard to such a parker: "Sir, that parking place is reserved for the PHYSICALLY handicapped."

Reply to
Dennis

This is the best thread ever.

Reply to
Halvey

The Home Depot nearest to where I live already has that. All the parking spots nearest the lumber dept's big door and loading area are contractor only.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Where I'm at, the 'contractors' can drive into the lumber yard and load up their stuff if it's not too heavy. Mostly though, they just park their oversized trucks, open all the doors, turn up their (horrible) music, and lean back and look to see who's looking at them. It's even funnier when there are 2 of them playing different kinds of music. Nothing like death metal and latino rap superposed on the old timpanic membranes.

I'd like to echo a previous post that 'real contractors' probably don't have time to be shuffling around Home Despot looking for 2x4s.

Michael Daly wrote:

Reply to
Halvey

How is this enforced?

This restriction is as enforceable as the spaces for pregnant parkers...

Reply to
avoidspam

Contractors are bigger and tougher than the handicapped?

:-)

Ok, so that's in poor taste. I think it's just an honour system. Since these spots aren't near the entrance, they probably aren't as popular anyway - the only benefit is to those who are picking up big orders.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Not at all peeved because I usually park farther back anyway... keeps down on the damage to my vehicle from all the idiots opening doors or slamming it with carts.

Besides, I have a disability myself, so I truly do understand how it can affect a person.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

As I mentioned in another post... I have no desire to get those "good" parking spaces. I always park farther back in the lot anyway. Keeps my car from getting banged up from all the idiots and the shopping carts or the car doors...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Here's an interesting observation; Cars parked in the handicap slots are often Caddies, Lexus, Beamers, etc.

Are only rich folks handicapped ? or Does being handicapped make you rich ?

????

Reply to
Anonymous

Being rich may make the physician more inclined to write whatever the patient asks for.

RB

wrote:

Reply to
RB

For the same reasons I park further away where

  1. I can drive into the lot infront of a two lot marking so that I can drive off without having to back out.
  2. Parking in a somewhat protected lot because it has a berm infront and better if there is another one on the side.
  3. So that I can get in an out easily without having a a long line of cars infront of me on the way to the exit. It is always quicker to walk to your car >10 rows away than to inch through the same distance in your car.
Reply to
Klm

wrote

Nevada has no such policy. The placard or plate is good for anyone driving the vehicle.

Now you are aware of one. Maybe more will chime in, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A Thought.

With the versatility and affordability of PCs that all offices must have to run business why not use that equipment to capture a whole body profile silhouette of the HC person and print that on the permit. A a half or one inch silhouette will provide a quick eyeball verification of the permit holder without giving away any personal information.

Reply to
Klm

Sorry for making an unfounded assumption.

The concern with parking in this country is absolutely insane on nearly every level. Jean Shepherd wrote of his father circling parking lots for hours in search of a "close" space in the 50s. Certainly when it's raining (and one hasn't had the forethought to pack an umbrella) or, as recently, parking areas are fields of snow, ice, and slush, it's a coup to be able to park close to one's destination. But how much difference does it make? I (sometimes) zip in, park at a distance, and am inside and shopping (or whatever) before the lot-circler has snagged his ideal slot. I once, entirely unwittingly I promise, slipped into a slot someone else was eyeing. She confronted me in the grocery aisles and swore a blue streak. It was as if I'd devoured one of her children!

I used to suffer from a mild case of road-rage -- the speeders, the cutters-off, the non-handicapped in blue spaces -- I'd become righteously steamed and upset. Finally realized these feelings had no effect whatsoever on others, and merely raised my BP and made me unhappy. While I've never believed in 'mind control' fashions, I started muttering something about how it didn't matter; the only behavior I could control was my own; etc. Lo and behold, I eventually was able to be calm in my car and An Example to Others. :-)

No one can be nanny to everyone else's faults. *Real* roadrage results in homicide when some traffic sin is committed. I'd rather hum my "I'm cool" mantra and let an idiot go unpunished (by me).

Reply to
Frogleg

Caddies, Continentals and Cougars are "grampa's last car" around these parts :o)

Old enough to retire, these days, means you made money when interest rates were 13% AND you have a pension. Remember those? I was trying to buy food for my kids when interest rates were 13%.

Reply to
norminn

Neat. :-) But who's qualified to make the judgement? There are many conditions not obvious to casual view. I believe various heart conditions qualify. Unless the driver is wearing it on his sleeve, it's hard to tell.

The plates and tags are issued on the basis of proven physical disability. If a relative or employee abuses the use, he/she's an idiot. Or maybe just taking advantage when they can as so many do in so many situations. Or even clueless. *Most* people recognize and respect the designation. Many otherwise responsible people will push a basketfull of groceries through the express line because they're "in a hurry." This is also an excuse for speeding, handicapped parking, and probably a lot of other sins.

Reply to
Frogleg