Work Trucks With Handicapped Plates

Ken,

Ever think that the construction worker *is* handicapped and is a small business owner/boss whom parked his truck there so the hired man or men that accompanied him to the store could pick up the stuff that is required for the job? I am a business owner/operator and if I was suddenly handicapped I certainly wouldn't throw in "the towel" . I would keep on going with my business and hire workers to do what I can no longer do and be their boss from the experience that I have gained working in the trade. I beleive it's what you folks down south call the 'American way" that you are supposed to be so proud of.... isn't it? Maybe rather than spending your time in typing to this NG you could have utilized your time in asking the dually owning construction worker in question???? Wierd...but seems logical to this Canadian..... hell...if I saw this...I'd hang around and find out....especially if it's every "5-10 times" and it bothered you enough to type this question. Perhaps you could find the answer to the question and get back to the group with your findings?

Regards... Jim Morris Owner / Morris Welding & Holdings Ltd Emerald Park Saskatchewan Canada....

Reply to
Jim & Lil

hey you right about the mental handicapped part: years ago when the computers were not so user friendly and the drawing programs were kinda bare bones i made up a mental handicapped license plate for a co-worker that really needed this plate( it had a head with a circle and line in it like NO for turn, parking, etc... it was a picture of a get with his mouth open screaming, which is what this guy was really like... a little sticker stuff on it and he wore it on his license for a few days...... and it fit him perfectly.....

Reply to
jim

No single answer. Many handicaps don't involve wheelchairs or crutches. A breathing problem could make a long walk difficult, while still making to lifting/moving (and shopping) possible. Abuse is also a common feature. A friend happily parks in handicapped spaces because her husband's condition qualified for the plate.

This comes under the category of "is this a hill you are willing to die for?" Do you *really* want to confront the drivers/owners and demand an explanation or justification? Or just shrug and go on your way? Yes, there's probably -- certainly abuse. The Home Depot shoppers may be taking advantage of a friend's or relative's disability. Shame on them.

Reply to
Frogleg

Depends. If the temperature is -5 with 30 mph wind and you have a heart condition, it means a lot to get inside. If the temperature is 60 degrees the walk is good exercise. My wife fits that description but does not have a late. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's what I think of the people that park in the handicapped spaces without the plate or hangtag... They must be mentally handicapped...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Yes, but why should anyone who doesn't have mobility problems get special parking spots? I can see if you have problems walking, but reading? Heck, my daughter qualifies as being handicapped, I could get plates for all my cars, but she can walk just fine and since she's only 5, she can't exactly drive, so I won't do it.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I will say that if it's someone parking in a handicapped spot without a plate, I will make sure they get a ticket. I parked behind some bitch driving a BMW, parked in a handicapped spot without any sort of plate or hanging placard and called the police. She stood outside my car and ranted and raved and swore at me for 10 minutes before the cops showed up and ticketed her. I just laughed the whole time.

She got what she deserved, although I'm sure she's still doing it. More dollars than sense.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Thank you.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Sometimes we forget to put he hangtag up. Sometimes it falls down. WTF is the difference about it all? The license plate is on the car. The plate gives the driver the right to park there. If you are in a state where your drivers license denotes handicapped, and you must display it to an officer who asks, there is some enforcement. If they don't have to explain it to a police or enforcement officer, what makes you think they need to explain it to you?

Otherwise, just mind your own damn business and don't worry about it. Sheesh, what do you want folks to do? Pull up their shirt and show their scars? Give you a medical history? Use medical words you won't understand?

It is enough to be disabled enough to qualify for a tag, it is an extra burden to have to explain it to some bozo, either on the street or in a newsgroup.

Worry about something else, wontcha?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have two artificial knees, which qualified me for a hanging card, which sits in the glovebox of my GMC 3500 pickup. My wife and kids know that it is not a free parking card. I use it when necessary, but not often. I load my own purchases as the BORG, when I can. There are all sorts of disabilities, and also abuses of the privilege. I personally spoke to a maybe 20 year old guy who pulled into a spot, hung his placard and after walking into the store I asked was that his placard. "No, it's my Fathers" "Well then shame on you for abusing it". To which he smiled, and added "**ck you." I called the cops, they came, ticketed him, waited until he came back to the car and confiscated the placard. "Tell your Father to come to the Police Station and we'll give him back his card". I smiled all the way home thinking about that conversation.

Reply to
David Babcock

ya coulda let the air out of her tires... hehehe

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Actually, I worry about it because I want the spaces to be available for someone that really does have a disability, and not some mentally handicapped idiot that wants to save 10 steps so they don't get a little wet in the rain.

But.... Exxxxxxxxxcccccccuuuuuuuuuussssseeeeeeeeee mmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for even caring!!

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Very good! I hate seeing the abuse of this, and then no spaces available for someone that really does have a disability.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

as I see it every time I go to the big box stores most of the handicapped spaces are empty. I think there should be closer parking for "contractors only" because they know what they want and are in and out in minutes flat. unlike home owners who take forever to make a decision - they should park in the rear of the parking lot. and the handicapped spaces should also be in the back of the lot. with all the motorized carts in stores these days (imagine the fun in the lot with those damn things.

bottom line contractors SHOULD get the best parking spaces because they are the back bone of the construction trade (not to mention the millions of dollars they spend on materials compared to your average home owner).

Reply to
Happy Homeowner

I disagree as HD is a "Do it yourself" home center. The only contractors who frequent it are the jackleg wanna-be's who aren't capable of ordering material from real supply houses by stock number, and need to see all the choices available to them on shelving physically.

Generally these "glorified handymen" don't have accounts at real building materials suppliers because they can't, they don't qualify because they aren't real contractors, incorporated, or have legal company names, ar searchable in Dunn & Bradstreet, etc. They often pay cash to HD because the job is paying them cash - and they in turn pay cash to their help.

REAL contractors fax a material order to the supply house or have the foreman or project manager do it. It's delivered free, as contractors don't have time to go "shopping" at HD nor can they afford to pay tradesman's wages to waltz around a 5 acre store shopping all day.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

How? At what cost? I don't have a cellphone to dial 911. I *sure* don't want to try and prevent an illegally-parked (perhaps) person from 'escaping' a parking lot. I don't plan on getting into fistfights with idiots in the special parking places, nor with those checking a basketful of groceries through the express line. There *are* somewhat neutral, 'though occasionally embarrassing ways of gentle persuasion. "Did you notice you parked in a handicapped spot?" I wouldn't go so far as to say to someone with plates or tag, "you don't

*appear* to be handicapped. Please explain yourself to me or I'll call the cops." It ain't my call. *Most* people respect the designation. Let it go.
Reply to
Frogleg

No you don't. While it's impossible to prove for sure, I'll betcha you're peeved because some idiot has taken the parking spot you'd like to have yourself. That's the way *I* feel, anyhow. Although I've been recently trying to park at a distance to get a little exercise. If you're concerned about the rights of the handicapped and how to help them, there's probably an organization that could use your help. Maybe they even have a cadre of volunteer roving ticket-givers sanctioned by the local police.

Reply to
Frogleg

Go to your local authorities, and either volunteer to be a citizen monitor that can write tickets, or watch the spaces and call when someone offends. That would show you really care.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Most of the folks I know who have authorization to use HC parking DO NOT have plates with the HC symbol on them, but rather use the HC placard hung from the rear view mirror - for obvious reason that we don't have to go into here and now.

A PLATE as well as the HANG TAG doesn't give the driver the right to park in a space designated for HC parking unless the plate and/or placard was issued to the driver for their use because they have a disability or condition that qualifies for the plate/placard or they are transporting a person who is authorized to use the space and the plate or placard was issued to them. If the person who is authorized to use the space is not driving or being transported in the vehicle use of the space.

This is very true and unless you have a good reason to question the validity of the use of a plate/placard by an individual there is no reason for you to involve a parking/law enforcement officer to verify it!

I'm not aware of any state in the US that doesn't issue documentation with the plate or placard that is displayed on the vehicle containing information identifying the person to who it/they were issued.

The requirements of the issuance of permits for the use of designated HC parking in the US can be found at:

Rather than bitching about imagined abuses of the rules it would behoove the whiners to go to that site and at least see what is the requirement for their state! (I doubt if many/any of them will go to the bother but rather they will be content with going along their merry way, and getting pissed off every time they see someone using one of these spaces)

Many of the comments made here seem to relate to the "convenience" factor associated with HC parking and miss the basic reason for having it! (In my opinion this seems to reflect their envy persons authorized to use these parking spaces and total lack of understanding the reasons for them. Probably most of the complaints in this thread would not be made if conditions still were the same as before the passage of the Federal Handicapped Parking Law P.L. 100-641 in 1988. This law encouraged states to adopt uniform laws regarding handicapped parking using the guidelines it contained or face the loss of Federal Highway matching funds. Before this legislation was enacted parking for persons with handicaps could be designated, BUT few localities had statutes regarding enforcement of any penalties for violations or standards of who could use them - and those that did seldom enforced the laws they had! All you had to do is remember to have someone 'limp' when they got out of a car parked in a HC space if you wanted to give the impression that its use was authorized! Spaces were available on a fist come first served basis regardless of the nature or degree of an individual's handicap!

Reply to
avoidspam

I would worry that your concern might be a symptom of your own mental failures and a sign of the fact that someone got something you would have liked to have gotten needed to be rationalized to compensate for your concern about not getting a better parking space!

Reply to
avoidspam