Work boots

Been buying Danner hiking boots for work. Obviously I do a lot of walking, especially on pavement. Was disappointed with my last few pair of Redwings, now getting disappointed with Danner. Danner hiking are very comfortable, but they won't last more than 1-1/2 yrs. Maybe I'm expecting too much for $180.00.
What's a decent, comfortable boot, about 4.5" high without breaking the bank?

Yep. Redwing went to crap 20 yrs ago. Last pair I bought was 30 yrs ago and they lasted 15 yrs, worn every day. Never bought Danner cuz they didn't make serious wide (4E). You need to look at Dehner boots.
http://www.dehner.com /
They will break your bank, but how much are your feet worth? You can get into a pair for less than two pair at $360 for only 5 yrs. Plus, they are custom fit to your feet, not off-shelf sizes.
nb
On 12/28/12 2:17 PM, Kern wrote:

Wolverines are supposed to be good. No personal experience with them though.
On 12/28/12 11:28 PM, Steve B wrote:

I wear these when the weather gets cold. http://tinyurl.com/c37pmm8 Adding five buckle overshoes keeps my feet warm in the winter. Summertime footwear is Walmart sneakers. I'm out in fields almost every working day. I'm walking through mud and whatever so good boots would just be a waste.

Nobody knows what works for you. Depends on your feet/legs, how much walking, where walking, etc. I never spent more than about 40 bucks on work foot gear. You didn't say why your boots are wearing out in 1 1/2 years. If it's the soles, and they can't be resoled, it's a garbage shoe, no matter the name or price. If it's the uppers falling apart, either you're not taking care of them, or it's a garbage shoe, no matter the name or price. Polyurethane soles/heels last almost forever. The only time I listened to anybody's advice about shoes was for running shoes. A marathoner I worked with said New Balance. It was good advice. They weren't especially expensive either. I recommend you start with inexpensive. You're already getting burned in terms of wear by paying $180. But if "name" and "looks" are important, your options are limited.

Actually, I did say. But, you were too busy trying to give a smart response to digest the information.

Obviously, you've never had a decent pair of work boots on if you believe the name & looks are what is being paid for.
It's like someone telling you, Walmart $9.95 tennis shoes are just as good as New Balance. BTW, it didn't take a marathoner to direct myself to New Balance.
On Friday, December 28, 2012 12:17:59 PM UTC-8, Kern wrote:

Get cheap work boots from Wal-Mart that are a half size bigger, wear at least two pairs of thick socks, youll never know the difference.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Good grief, you probably don't go to the dentist, cause you think you're saving money.
On 12-28-2012 15:17, Kern wrote:

I'm not very fond of buying shoes, but I'd rather spend thirty dollars and have to do it again in a year than $180 to make it last for three.
--
Wes Groleau

“To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 19:21:39 -0500, Wes Groleau

If I can find shoes that fit for $180 and not have to do it again for three years, it would be a bargain. Seriously hard to fit feet might change your mind too. Fortunately, there's Amazon.
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 19:30:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I bet you have the same problem with your head. Does Amazon work for that too?

You don't have to prove how dumb you are, Douggie. BTW, you have shit in your teeth. It's gross.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 01:11:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Good luck with your hat.

Just because you lost yours up your ass, doesn't mean everyone does.