Woodpeckers.. help?

Anyone have any practical ideas for how to keep woodpeckers from destroying a tree in my front yard? It's an acorn tree (dont laugh, I forget what they're called), and I've noticed the holes for a couple years now and suspected it was woodpeckers.. today I actually saw some. Any advice appreciated.. thank you
Oaks. Where are you located? If it's horizontal rows of small holes, that's Sapsuckers & they are Federally protected in some areas <g>. If it's holes big enough to store acorns in, that's woodpeckers & they probably are digging in dead wood and won't do much damage anyways. I wouldn't worry about it either way, it's not that bad usually.
lucy wrote:

Hang up some AOL CD's. That seems to piss them off.
Most people would be glad to have them pecking on trees because they usually peck on your house.

Actually, that woodpecker is probably doing less damage to your tree than are the bugs inside he's pecking for.
AJS

lucy wrote:

the woodpeckers are looking for bugs under the bark.. check with your county agent to find out what you can spray on the tree to kill the bugs so the woodpeckers will stay away...... i had them on a bush(which is now the size of a tree) about 10 yrs. ago.. first time i had ever seen one in action... more dots on a line all around the tree branches, very prcise formation of holes.... they just quit coming???? dont know why we did not spray anyting, maybe the bugs quit coming for the tree????
They peck the holes & drink the tree sap and also the holes attract bugs which they also enjoy eating. I'd guess they don't do it till the tree dies though normally, just for a while as long as it's giving them good sap & bugs. I say it's best to just let them do their thing. If you chase them off early the bugs could cause a problem. It is normal and will balance itself out usually. Probably produces some interesting wood!
jim wrote:

Put me on the "any advice appreciated" list also. They keep attacking my house (cedar shake shingle siding over brick) and there are no bugs, this house is sprayed around the foundation and on the siding 3 - 4 times a year and has an oil based stain applied every 4 or 5 years and he just keeps coming back. I've even caught him off guard and hosed him down with a pressurized water can (fire fighters will know what that is) and it knocks the little @%$# loop legged. Luckily I can repair the damage with plastic wood and comb it to sort of match the grooved shingles. RM~
.

031223 2007 - lucy wrote:

Speaking of woodpeckers...
http://www.arches.uga.edu/~dpopov/BigWoody.jpg
Ha-Ha Ha Ha-Ha Ha-Ha Ha Ha-Ha Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha

destroying
hahahahaha hahahahaha hehehehehe