Woodpeckers

I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on the house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the siding.

Most likely he is after carpenter bees.
That's what happened to me.
If you find half inch sized holes in the siding there's a bee larva in there and the wood pecker is after it.
I tried to deal with the problem with bug spray. I don't know if it worked because there was enough damage that I had the whole house sided with vinyl and all the exposed wood covered with aluminum. No woodpeckers since.
--
Dan Espen

Don't let your guard down quite yet. We had a whacky wookpecker hammer away on our alum TV antenna mast for 3 wks before finally packing it in. ;)
nb
Where I am most houses use vinyl siding, The woodpeckers bang away on them. I've heard that they use the noise as a mating call.
cb

The species we have here in CO would die out, if that were the case. CO has no native hardwoods, but plenty of woodpeckers. I've NEVER heard a single one. There's one that constantly hammers away on the tree jes outside my window, but he makes no noise I can hear. I can only assume it's due to the softwood trees we have. When I lived in CA, you could hear woodpeckers hammering away on oaks and/or oak fence posts, fer miles. <shrug>
nb
On 10/15/2011 2:47 PM, notbob wrote:

Here we have some little ones and lots of BIG ones up to 18 inches long. I sure am glad they don't attack the house! I see and hear them every day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_Woodpecker
On 10/15/2011 1:32 PM, Charlie wrote:

If I banged on my pecker with a piece of wood, there's no telling what sort of animal would be attracted by the sound I would make. ^_^
TDD

That's weird.
The siding has been up for at least 30 years. Best thing I ever did.
Before that, I painted the exterior once. I never want to do that again.
Just last week I had the wooden garage door replaced. They say the door is aluminum but it appears to be coated with something that feels like vinyl.
Last on my list is the screen porch which has some wood that occasionally needs painting.
--
Dan Espen

notbob wrote:

I've never seen an aluminum TV mast. Only steel.

You need to get away from home, guy.
nb
On 10/15/2011 11:56 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

T. M. I.
-Bob

The first definition has 689 "up" votes and 130 "down" votes.
The site is merely telling you how people voted about the definitions.

Are you saying definition 3 is inaccurate or do you like 7 more?
I think the Urban Dictionary is a great source. Anybody can post a definition.
--
Dan Espen

I have heard that dangling old cd's will repel birds. Now, that's not a permanent solution, but it might just get this one to find a new home. I have seen fruit trees with them hanging, and there isn't a bird within sight.
I would imagine you could find some old cds, or even purchase some reeeeealy cheap ones at the store and give it a go.
Steve
http://www.groworganic.com/bird-scare-tape-silver-mylar-500-roll.html
Google "Bird Scare Tape" for other sizes, costs.
Sonny

Now that I finally have a use for all those things AOL mailed to me...