Wood stove in a trailer

Friend of mine might put a wood stove in his trailer. He's considering safety factors, and what to do in case of fire.
Years ago, I considered it. Check with my insurance agent. The increased insurance cost would have wiped out any heat savings.
As to fire protection. I've heard of folks put a wye on the laundry cold faucet, and hang a garden hose in the laundry room. I figure with a trailer fire, the steps are 1) get everyone out, 2) call fire dept, and 3) you have about thirty seconds to put out the fire before you're dead in there.
Anyone else have experience to share?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I'd add a couple of more doors for escape to the outside also.
OK, that's going to be item 4, then.
On 9/7/2013 10:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

in alt.survival the following:

    Just use all the usual aids to prevent fire from getting out of the fireplace and into the building. Might want to consider something more along the lines of a "thermal mass" unit, which doesn't need a fire going all the time.     I've seen some interesting adaptations of the "rocket stove" ideas into "larger" heating units. The reports are that they have to be reloaded "often", but they burn clean, don't need to be run that often. (For some values of "often").
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There was a house fire where I grew up and iirc one of the kids died. The father rebuit, using a fairly standard ranch house pattern that was popular at the time. His refinement was every room in the house had an exterior door.

International Nickel and other mining companies supplied their Northern Ontario prospecting teams in 1960 with 14 ft by 16 ft tents by Woods Bag & Canvas similar to http://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/store/woods-standard-prospector-tents.html which were equipped with asbestos rings and extra roof vents to enable oil-drum wood-burning stoves for winter use. (Prospectors work Dec.-March and May-October, avoiding the freeze and thaw months when axe work is extra dangerous.) Users said the wood stoves were smelly but practical.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

let them do it...evolution in action
On 9/7/2013 9:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Explosive bolts to eject the whole back wall of the trailer allowing you to roll out of the trailer no matter where you are. Of course, I'm thinking outside the box. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 14:12:24 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Why not make the bed into an ejectable escape capsule?
"
typed in alt.survival the following:

    Hatch beside the bed - in case of emergency, the bed pivots lengthwise and "boomm" there you are outside.     Might want to make it so the system doesn't operate whilst one is making the sign of the triple finned aardvark, if you know what I mean (and I think you do). Unless you want a scene from a French farce.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 23:08:01 -0700, pyotr filipivich

ROFLMAO!!!!
"
The country boy who lives in this trailer, being discussed, would probably do such a thing.

500 gal tank of water, located over the wood stove, with a plastic bottom on the tank. In case of fire, the whole 500 gal comes down.

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 10:38:17 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The thread you cloned this one from
was about "camp" trailers used by sheep herders. Look at some the data sheets on them. The windows are designed for emergency exit.

Best solution - don't have one.
External furnace. Isolated hot water or air into the trailer via piping designed to be disconnect and reconnected easily.
Internal. Several layers of heat shields with natural or forced air flow between them. As long as the outer shield can't get hot enough to combust what's around it, you are good to go. Gets every bit of heat out of the fuel too.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/woodstoves-and-mobile-home-safety-zmaz85sozgoe.aspx#axzz2eFug6Nro
Neighbors had a small pot belly heater in their single wide trailer. It stayed so hot in the trailer that they had to leave front door open all the time. Pot belly stoves are not the most efficient stoves in the world, but they do get warm. The heat was probably a big fire hazard, so would consider the hazards, and have the ability to get out of every room, even if it takes chopping through the wall to get out.
That's a thought. I knew a couple people with wood stoves, same deal. Too hot, leave the main door open. Heat the sky.
Needs big pan of water on top, keep the humidity livable, else you get nose bleeds and dry skin.
On 9/24/2013 8:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@rendersafe.home wrote:

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 7:38:17 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

actually if youve never been in a mobile home fire then you dont know how i t works mine burnt down back in 2008 when i was 17 and home alone i was in there for about 5 minutes trying to put it out before the flames even reach ed the living room from the kitchen and the doors dont play much factor if the path way is on fire its the windows you want just thought i would up date that
.

just thought i would up date that
Quick, call the police! Somebody stole all of the punctuation keys from your keyboard. I think they grabbed the upper case key also.
On 11/21/2013 1:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

their is a crym sindicate that has stolen my punchewation keez and upper case keys and my spelling apility bee sheer to call the copps four mee two
--
.
Christopher A. Young