Wood Stove Ducting??

I have an existing wood stove that the flue pipe (8") goes straight back from the stove into a brick wall then up into the chimney. The chimney flue is stainless and is 8" all the way up. The woodstove is in the basement and the dedicated chimney is 3 full stories above it. I have always had a very good draw from this setup. I would like to upgrade my woodstove to a new Jotul. Unfortunately, the flue pipe is only about 18" above the base of the woodstove and most woodstoves with a rear flue are several inches above that. I understand that its desirable (or is it in the code?) that the flue pipe from the woodstove to the chimney should slope upward. Is this mandatory. Since I have such a good draw, and I'll have to use an adapter (8" to

6") anyway which will help the draw to the woodstove. Under these circumstances, can I use a modern woodstove that has a higher exhaust flue than the input to the chimney? I'm probably not using the correct terminology I realize, so let me explain it this way. The current flue pipe is parallel to the floor. If I install a new stove, the pipe will slope downward from the woodstove to the chimney pipe for about 24 inches. Will this be ok?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Samuelson

No. You cannot avoid creosote. The point is that creosote will be concentrated at any low spot between the stove and the vertical flue, hugely increasing the frequency of chimney fires.

You can disassemble the pipes for cleaning, so you might get away with a low spot if you clean the pipes frequently. (Weekly? Monthly?)

-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Reply to
Don Phillipson