Wiring question (2)

Page 2 of 2

...even if it isn't the correct one.

NM cable may only be used in dry locations, not damp or wet locations. Putting it in conduit doesn't make any difference, as conduit in a damp or wet location is itself considered a damp or wet location.
So the upshot is that you can't use NM until you are inside the house (the crawl space, as long as it is dry). Outside you could use a short piece of UF cable or use conduit and individual conductors such as THWN.

The neutral conductor is normally a current carrying conductor. The grounding conductor (EGC) is not supposed to be a normally current carrying conductor. The EGC does need to be connected to the neutral at one location in order to do it job of completing the circuit in case of a fault.
However, if you connect the neutral and EGC in two different places, then you have paralleled the neutral and EGC. As a result, the EGC will be carrying part of the neutral current all the time. This can result in current where it shouldn't be (such as the metallic frame of equipment) and is a potential shock hazard.
Cheers, Wayne

Hi Wayne, Thank you so much for your answer to the grounding question. It was clear and concise. Now I know why!!!
Thanks again, Ivan Vegvary
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

You want your return to drop all the voltage back to the service panel, not at different points along the circuit. A GFCI breaker would see that as a problem and trip.
--
LSMFT