Quick hose connector problem

I have several of those quick hose connectors on our outdoor spigots. For the life of me, I can't get one of them off to replace it or insert a new washer.

Any clues before I take a hacksaw to it?

Thanks,

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

Slip joint pliers, vise, vise grips?

Reply to
Jason Bourne

If sunlight hits it, a liberal dose of liquid wrench or similar, and wait a day. Then pump pliers, or even a small pipe wrench. Clean the threads or get a new quick-connect before you put it back together, and use grease so it doesn't gall again.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Righty tighty, lefty loosy?

Reply to
krw

To all responders, thus far.

I have tried to remove the quick connect but it just seems to "spin" on the spigot. I was curious if these things have a special connection in that you have grip down hard on it to remove.

BTW, these were installed on our house before we moved in, so I don't know how they got on.

If all it is, is that the threads aren't "catching" then pliers it is. Just wanted to know before I ended up with plastic parts in my hand. Of course a new one is only $5.00

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

Be sure you are turning the base of fixture-- the part that's attached to hose or bib rather than the top part which will just spin around.

Reply to
Wyandanch

When I run across something like that, I use a Dremel tool to cut slots on either side, insert a flat blade screwdriver give it a twist and the offending part falls right off. You must use a little care not to slice into the threads.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Problem solved.

The damn quick connect has these threads that are NOT part of the outside "wrapper". You can twist that outside plastic all you want, but it will not thread off.

After gripping it with a pair of channel locks, it came off. Replaced it with a brass one I got from ACE.

Will be doing this to all of them soon.

Thanks for all the help.

MJ

Reply to