Wiring in-line duct fan

I want to wire an in-line duct fan to come on when the main AC/Heat unit fan comes on. The heat is gas and I'll check the air handler only has 110V, can anyone give me some pointers on how to do this? The in-line fan is also 110V.
Thanks in advance,
Peter
Peter Wells wrote:

There are many different ways of doing this. It depends on the equipment and location you have. I will add that there are switches available that will sense the air flow in the duct and turn on the fan.
However I should point out that in general in-line duct fans don't really fix problems. At best they help and often they make them worse. Rather than pay the cost and effort to put an in-duct fan, maybe the money would be better spent by bringing in a HVAC tech and letting them really fix the problem.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ditto what he said. You have a problem and the in-line fan will just aggravate it, besides being plain noisy.
Thanks for the replies.
I've been told by an HVAC tech to try the in-line fan! We remodelled a room that's on the end of the AC system and need to get more airflow to that area. In the next two years we'll remodel the kitchen at which point we'll need to redo the whole AC system. i.e. we're looking at the fan as a temporary solution.
Can I simply follow the wires back from the air handler's fan and put the in-line fan in parrallel?
Peter

Peter Wells wrote:

Hunt around for one of them that sit on top of the vent in the room and have a built in sensor to turn on. They just plug in as I recall.
http://www.suncourt.com/EQ2.html Sample of what I am talking about.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
An interesting device. If the need is just occasionally and for a limited time the temp of the room can be equalized by placing a small stationary fan on the floor near the doorway. Blue

If it's one of the small units that doesn't draw much power, just wire it in parallel with the existing furnace blower, as it will not be much additional load and the furnace can handle it. I did this and added a switch on mine, so that I only run the extra fan during the summer for cooling.
Peter Wells wrote:

If you don't have a multimeter and/or can't read the schematic that (usually) posted on the inside of the air handler, you should not be attempting to do this. Call an electrician, HVAC technician, or other qualified person.
Peter:
PW> I want to wire an in-line duct fan to come on when the main AC/Heat unit fa PW> comes on. The heat is gas and I'll check the air handler only has 110V, ca PW> anyone give me some pointers on how to do this? The in-line fan is also PW> 110V. I put one here for the kitchen vent years ago. Helped only minimally. When the addition was built needed to tap into the ductwork and the HVAC guys noted the fan. They replaced a section of the original round ductwork with rectangular and said if there was a still a problem they'd come back to re-install the fan. Did not need it any longer. I presume they did the necessary calculations (manual J, whatever).
If you still want a fan, you might want to consider a unit which goes on the vent. There are models which are controlled by temperature and are quiet. I have one up here in the computer room, on the second floor. (What this problem was correct I don't recall -- probably slipped the mind because at the time the room was being used to store furniture while the remodelling was being done.)
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* If a shepherd counts his sheep, wouldn't he fall asleep?
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971