well shock questions... bypass my water softener and green-sand filter???

Hello,

I can always rely on good advice from this forum.....

I plan to shock my well before a long weekend of camping. I've never done that before.

I've printed step-by-step instructions on well measurement, chlorine bleach dilution and amounts etc... I hear that I need to run both cold and hot to be sure the water heater is 'treated' as well. I'm wondering about my water softener and my green-sand (potassium permanganate) filters... should I draw the bleach into these as well? Or, should I turn the bypass valves on one or both to exclude the bleach from one or the other??

I've had the well checked for bacteria in the past w/ clear results. But, I haven't shocked the well in 5 years. I hear (now) that I should because of algea. Because of the length of time since the prior owner's treatment, I hear I should take the aeroators off of each faucet/shower head in preparation for 'lot of gunk'. True? Any other magic to this?

Thanx for your advice! gopackers

Reply to
Curt Roloff