Wiring a Vent-a-hood in a special way

Hi, My name is Jason Sooter, I am new the group. I think I am going to love it though because it is right up my ally. Anyway here is my first question.

I am installing a vent-a-hood in a kitchen for my in-laws. Installing it normally would be no problem except for a special part that she wants. I am reasonably good at wiring but just for the normal stuff. I normally don't do anything that is special though. Anyway to keep an open feel in the kitchen the hood is installed somewhat high over a peninsula. She is short so she wants a switch on the wall for the light and fan separately even though it has buttons on the actual hood. So I just need to know how to wire that correctly such as what gauge wire to use and if there is any special things I need to do. Do the fan and lights both run off of 120 or is there a voltage change in between the house power and the fan and lights. Thanks for all the help.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Sooter

Hi, They run on 120V. If you want to, you can even do it wirelessly imagination is the only limit. Or pull cord is not an option?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

120 volts. The fan is probaly multi-speed. You could buy a switch just like the one in the hood now, mount it on a blank wall plate, and run 3 conductor 12 gauge romex up to the range hood. That will do two speed like mine is, but if they come in tree speeds also, you could use two 2-conductor 12 guage romex. You'll have to disconnect the swtich that is there now (unless you only have on/off on the wall, and use the switch that is there now to decide the speed. Personally, I wouldn't want to have only on/off on the wall, because I use the high speed when I must, and the rest of the time the low speed. The high speed makes audible noise and I hate that. I'd hate it more if I spent more time in the kitchen, or if I were short and coudln't turn it down.)
Reply to
mm