wire measures apx 27volts

Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated wiring.

Reply to
canthonica

You didn't pay your bill on time and the electric company cut off 3/4 of your voltage.

Reply to
Toller

digital meters are flkey:( try checking voltage by wiring a 100 watt lamp as a tester, that will show whats really there

Reply to
hallerb

I used a 100-250v voltage tester with a light on it as well.

Reply to
canthonica

I used a 100-250v voltage tester with a light on it as well.

Reply to
canthonica

Hi, That circuit is dead. Digital multi meter has high input impedance which means it's way too sensitive. It's picking up stray ghost voltage.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That has a neon light, though, doesn't it.

Hallerb means for you to use a real light bulb (incandescent), 100 watts, and see how brightly it glows.

Others would say to use a non-digital meter, that is one with a needle that is not an FET VOM or a VTVM. FET meters and vaccuum tube volt meter have high input impedance, like digital meters do, and I presume the people here would say that all 3 are flakey. That is, a high induced voltage, like 27 volts will be measured as 27 volts, even though there is only a minuscule trace of available current. With the other meters, with needles, the 27 volts will be drained off by the meter itself, and the voltage will read zero.

Reply to
mm

Reply to
buffalobill

I replaced the switch. It works fine now. Thanks to all.

Reply to
canthonica

posted for all of us...

Asked and answered MANY times! Sorry, you lose, buh bye, bring in the next player Johnny.

Reply to
Tekkie®