wire measures apx 27volts

Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated wiring.

You didn't pay your bill on time and the electric company cut off 3/4 of your voltage.
digital meters are flkey:( try checking voltage by wiring a 100 watt lamp as a tester, that will show whats really there
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I used a 100-250v voltage tester with a light on it as well.
On 23 Oct 2006 19:48:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That has a neon light, though, doesn't it.
Hallerb means for you to use a real light bulb (incandescent), 100 watts, and see how brightly it glows.
Others would say to use a non-digital meter, that is one with a needle that is not an FET VOM or a VTVM. FET meters and vaccuum tube volt meter have high input impedance, like digital meters do, and I presume the people here would say that all 3 are flakey. That is, a high induced voltage, like 27 volts will be measured as 27 volts, even though there is only a minuscule trace of available current. With the other meters, with needles, the 27 volts will be drained off by the meter itself, and the voltage will read zero.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I used a 100-250v voltage tester with a light on it as well.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That circuit is dead. Digital multi meter has high input impedance which means it's way too sensitive. It's picking up stray ghost voltage.
some thoughts: who: you what: low voltage or phantom voltage. WHERE did you measure it? is there voltage on the wires? how about upstream from the outlet or box feeding it? WHEN did this problem first occur? [such as upon failure of an appliance like a portable heater] why: some AC may be floating your way from for example an old flourescent ballast with a problem. in our 1910 building we find occasional oddities related to old ungrounded circuits. our phantom is usually around 6 VAC. how: more meter readings required with one hand in pocket and other hand holding onto your electrician, have him measure voltages inside breaker panel and along the various outlets feeding toward your problem outlet. further, try a portable GFI AC tester, and use GFI portables to protect you and always a helper with a cell phone. electrical faq see: http://www.landfield.com/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1 /
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

buffalobill wrote:

I replaced the switch. It works fine now. Thanks to all.
posted for all of us...

player Johnny.