Winterizing time

3.5, 3.4L. Crumbs never had anything larger than 2L. and see no reason to have one that could guzzle fuel at such a rate.

Ahh, but hang on, my father has an MG with a 3.5L from Detroit and my sister used to use a Sunbeam with a 5.7l from Detroit.

Reply to
Clot

Sorry you've had to do that. I see the $s going up the chimney. Fortunately, it is still 71 here and comfortable.

Reply to
Clot

Last year I just used one of those testers, which claimed both car + truck were good, but I'm a little wary of those - do they really work?

Yes, I need to do the same. Also around vent pipes etc. for dryer, furnace and such.

I took the screens down and put the storm windows on just a few days ago. Still got to check all the seals around the windows.

Oh, make sure your heating system + backup (if you have one) works :-)

Might be worth checking the roof, too - seals where rooflines meet, around chimneys etc.

Put on extra layers, mostly ;-) (house is late 1940's still with single-glazed wood-framed French windows, and those darn things would have leaked air even when new)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I hope you are not flushing that radiatior every year. With modern radiators and fluids, every three years is good.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Naw, had it done at the dealership as a standard thing based on milage and last time was in 2005 (previous owner's records). They also did the oil, and something with transmission checks and such. Part of the package deal when I bought the car, covers annual state inspections and a lot of little things like that for the first 5 years (2007-2012) under the expanded warrentee/maintenance contract.

Reply to
cshenk

"cshenk" wrote

Good info from all and thanks!

I picked up that I had forgotten (again) the HVAC filter. Don just pulled the old one from the heating part and replaced it.

The other one i forgot, was mentioned elsewhere and i;ll add it in for those that have this need and may have forgotten. As it gets colder, the bugs and spiders (and mice etc) start looking for a warm spot. This is the time when here in my area, wolf spiders start jumping across the carpets if we don't lay down good barriers. There is no way to keep them from the attached garage which then allows a level of access into the house. At this intermediate temp here, they also like to come in from the chimney.

This is the time to spray all entryways well and around doors and to keep doing it until we hit nights in the low 30's. Check roof vent screens to ensure no ingress to the attic (I have no soffit vents).

Reply to
cshenk

"Jules" wrote

Well enough if you use a margin for error. The really cheap ones can be

10-15F degrees off but if it reads 'good to -20' and your area never hits 0F, you'll be fine.

Oh, be careful if you do decide to flush and drain. Anti-freeze is both tastey and deadly to cats. (Dogs too I think?), well other wild-life as well. When I have to drain it myself, I take a bucket and then make sure I flush/dispose it safely based on the area's rules. In Japan, you dropped it off at the local auto places (free under 10L, they paid you a little if dropping off more so I gather there is some recyle thing they can do with it). Here in my area, they want you to take it to the storm drains and dump it where pets cant get at it.

I'm a warmer climate as we don't have removable ones like that here.

*big note* If you have a fireplace and didnt have it cleaned in spring, now is the time. (ours was done and we are now on a 2 times a year schedule due to heavy use, so it gets done again in Jan then April or so).

Good point.

Hehehe.

Reply to
cshenk

cshenk wrote: ...

I have no idea where you are, but I'd surely be more than just surprised there's anywhere that suggests you dispose of used antifreeze in the storm sewers...

--

Reply to
dpb

Suprised me too, but that was what I'd been told in 1995. Folks then were just draining it down the driveway to puddle and eventually hit a storm drain. Folks did that too when I was a kid and would wonder why 'Fluffy' never came home.

Reply to
cshenk

I'll bet you call and ask "powers in charge" and you'll be told differently now (and would have been then, too)...

--

Reply to
dpb

Clean out the gutters and make sure the downpipes are clear

Reply to
Rudy

Hmm, our area gets down to about -30...

Yeah, I'm not aware of any disposal point at the dump (just batteries and oil). I'm about 8 miles out from the nearest town, so there's no storm drains etc.

In the past I've just dumped it in our woodland and covered it to make sure nothing gets at it.

I hate 'em... need to re-do all the windows sometime, but we'd like to keep the same style (all French style with what, little 6x8" panels) and those seem to be a lot more expensive new. Will pick away at them as time goes on, but we've got twenty-something of 'em to do...

Not yet. Both I & wifey want one though; I grew up in places with big open fireplaces. Big project though as I'll have to add a second chimney (due to location of current one), so that's a few years off :-)

Keep hearing horror stories about chimney fires - my parents went about

18 years without having theirs cleaned (burning mainly coal and Apple logs). They were probably lucky :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Me?! I'm waiting for one more dip in the pool, before Thanksgiving.

Reply to
Oren

Went 40 miles today to the cabin and drained all lines. RV antifreeze in all the right places. Looked good. Drained the HW tank. Some years, I can get in in winter, others not. Last year was heavy snow, and we had a long wait for it to thaw out so we could drive up. Now it's time to do some stuff around this house.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Change oil in car, point it to Florida.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

:) Doing that this side of the Pond, I might drown! Here, having a condo in Spain is the nearest equivalent.

Reply to
Clot