Winterizing Metal Basement Door

I have a metal outside basement door unit (Bilco type with two doors that open outward - picture of the type of door linked below). Does anyone know of any type of gasket that could be used for these types of doors? I notice that a lot of cold air comes in through these doors into the basement and I'd like to make them more air-tight.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Rob

Foam strip insulation in rolls any hardware has it in many sizes and thickneses, it may not stick well to anything cold or dirty.

Reply to
m Ransley

The foam strips mentioned would help. I have also seen where people built a door at the bottom of the steps to act as an insulator also. Makes quite a difference.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Haven't seen one of these installs in years, but a common trick was to add an inward-opening door at the bottom of the stairs, if you have the floorspace and unobstructed headroom for it to swing. Makes it kind of hard to carry stuff in and out, though. Is this the only basement entry? If not, you could cheaply add a 'weather hatch' to the basement wall- an insulated plywood panel that fits between vertical 2x4 rails on the wall, with 2x4 top and bottom rails that drop into U-shaped clips to hold the panel snug against the door opening. Not pretty, but cheap, and would keep the basement warmer. Those external stairwells, even when they don't leak air, leak a lot of heat.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

I"ve found that garage door bottom-strips, the soft rubber kind, are excellent for that sort of thing. Even worked on the big 8 ft sliding door between my shop and the car part of the garage.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

I had the same problem, I went to lowes found an outside insulated door with the brick molding broken off on the side and top. Lowes now owns the door so see the manager and offer him 50 bucks for the broken door take door home knock off the other brick molding build frame for door now you have a nice insulated door at bottom of stair, as noted before get a door that swings inward and also get the largest door to fit the opening mine was a 36 wide door also install with screws in case you may need to remove door and frame to get something into the basement that is large if you need pics e-mail me I can take some and e-mail you.

Reply to
G.W.

If the doors open outward, than why not close the door, rip a piece of door jamb 1x2 fasten it to a piece of thick rubber gasket, butt it up to the door two sides and top then screw or nail it on. you can even purchase the type used for front entrances with the magnet encased.

Reply to
Grandpa Dan

Thanks for all of the ideas! I think I'll try the easiest solution first by trying some sort of rubber or foam gasket. If that is not enough, I'll consider putting in an inside door in the basement to seal off the doorway better.....

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Those metal doors are a pain to seal and they conduct heat like crazy. Clients of mine that have them also have a door at the bottom of the stairs. I've solved problems like this with a piece of 2" extruded polysty doubled up and cut to fit in the entryway. Quick fix and works great. Don't forget handles or you'll break it getting it out. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Just do the inside door and alleviate your hassles. It stops drafts as well as insulates. If you're not financially equipped right now then just do some beadboard fitted into the opening. You will be far happier - ask me how I know!

Reply to
C & E

replying to spudnuty, Phil wrote: How do they keep it from conducting heat?

Reply to
Phil