Windscreen wipers frozen to windshield

You are going to want to warm the window up anyway before driving so you can see. If she can't free up the wiper due to the rotator cuff (been there done that, tell her good luck the therapy is difficult but worth it) she will not be able to scrap off the window and the wiper will not be able to do it by itself.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Pour boiling water over them until they free up. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

Whoa. Warm/hot water is plenty. Could crack something if the thermal shock is great enough... Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

please don't use hot water will crack.

Reply to
dkarnes

"George Eberhardt" wrote in news:bv6dpk$o9et9$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-217368.news.uni-berlin.de:

Don't they still make those deicing sprays? 12 oz cans of some stuff,I used to buy it when I lived up in the Winter Wonderlands.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

And if no water is avalaible pee on the winshield

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for all the good advice. My wife finally used warm water and the heater and got it all cleaned up nicely. She said that the worst was the drivers side window, and that took additional time.

Thanks, George

Reply to
George Eberhardt

I use Prestone De-icer, it comes in a can with a plastic ice scrapper on the top. You can probably get it at the grocery store or a place that sells car stuff like Penn Jersey or Pep Boys. You just spray it on and it melts the ice.

Reply to
Scout Lady

Into less than a gallon of windshield washer solution, add one of those dollar bottles of isopropyl alcohol

Reply to
Michael Baugh

I'm just wondering if you're sitting in front of your computer waiting for an answer from a newsgroup!

Your wife's car will be hot by the time you get the right answer.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I read that you already got the wipers unstuck.

For the future, I wonder if you could prevent the problem in the first place by parking the car in a garage or covering the windshield with a tarp?

Just a thought...

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

A pan of hot water can crack the windshield, too... plus it freezes back and then the wipers are stuck even harder...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

A method to 'prevent' the problem :

on some cars you can LIFT the wiper blades off the windshield during snow or ice or at night

barring that, work the wipers til they are in the middle of the windshield and turn off the car = easier to work them free vs being in a SOLID BLOCK of ice at BASE of windshield here in New Jersey

Reply to
Conase

I'm surprised that your wife is just now discovering "ice" in winter. Did you guys just move from Houston yesterday? Now that she has the wipers cleared up, you should go check the wipers yourself to be sure the edge did not get ripped. Otherwise, your next call will be, "Honey, the wiper is making a scratching noise and there's a fat line on the window."

Reply to
MaxAluminum