Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first year of release

Page 2 of 3
| http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about?ocid=WIN10_0_WOL_Hero_Home_Windows-10_Null_01 |
I can't see any content on that webpage. I don't know why. Here's another link to Mary Jo Foley, who seems to be as much an insider as anyone when it comes to MS:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-make-windows-10-free-to-windows-7-8-1-and-windows-phone-8-1-users/
Note that she points out Win10 will be a service, not a software product. Once you go to Win10 you'll likely have very little control over your computer. (Similarly, I think Apple OS upgrades are now free, but Apple is basically selling the device and making a lot of their money by locking it down and then selling services, like music through iTunes. They don't just hand it out for free because they're generous.... and no one would ever accuse Apple of being generous.)
Win8 Metro is probably a good portent of what to expect with Win10. It's likely people will have to get a "Microsoft ID", allow Microsoft total control and access, which also means fullscale spying, as well as restrictions on what one can install/use/buy. It's hard to guess how they might integrate that with computers that are actually used to do anything more than shop and play games. Maybe they'll show ads. Maybe they'll just "sell you down the river" to marketers and data miners. But one way or the other, you can be sure they intend to make more money on you by giving it away free than they do by selling it. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.
Restrictions and spying are becoming a big problem. I see articles repeatedly about both iPhone and Android phones, detailing the near impossibility of not being tracked everywhere one goes, and spied on by much of the installed software. It's becoming very difficult to not be locked into a service and lose control of the device. Win10 is likely to be a similar situation. So it might be wise to at least wait and see how it plays out before jumping on board.
Just yesterday I saw an article about how Google is looking into entering the insurance business. The explanation was that Google already knows how and where people drive, through their Android phones running GPS, which are essentially radio collar tracking devices. So Google could be one up on other insurance companies in terms of knowing the best rates to charge individual customers. Microsoft wants a piece of that action. They know their strength is the Windows base. Their angle now, as seen through their ads, is to convert that to a big customer base of people who find it convenient to live in Metro-land, whether on PC, tablet, or phone.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:32:40 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

She didn't say it's not a software product. It obviously is. What she said was MSFT will be treating it like a service by updating it for life on the device and that there wouldn't be version numbers.

No indication of that at all from what you posted.

Realistically, I wonder how much MSFT actually makes from selling upgrades, at least to the home market. I doubt it's a core of their revenue stream. I haven't paid for an upgrade in probably 15 years. I probably paid for one upgrade ever. I think most people are in that boat too. You get an OS with the PC when you buy it, do whatever free upgrades there are and that's it. The upgrades never offered anything compelling enough to justify the price. And by the time they do, you probably are ready for new hardware too.
On 1/22/2015 9:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I don't know what the ratio of corporate upgrades is to personal but I believe they get a more expensive platform, e.g. Windows XP NT which is on a computer owned by a company I consult for. They are also slow to upgrade as while US branch is on Windows 7, UK still has machines on XP.
Whatever reason MS is out to maximize its profits and market share and they have to compete against free OS's and free upgrades.
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

There is no such thing as a free lunch. What does Microsoft get out of all of this? Articles claim Microsoft is now looking at Windows 10 as a Service. What does that mean? To me it might mean it will be just another way to suck up info on what you do with your Windows device up to a mothership in the cloud, that mothership analyzing that data and selling it to the highest bidders, perhaps targeting you for custom ads, like the robocalls on the phone you get when you sit down for dinner.
On 1/22/2015 2:29 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

I can see a few reasons. One is market share. They want to rule the OS market and this will give them a boost.
The other is a service provider. My guess is they will have some "pay for" options. Want cloud storage? Want certain add-ons? They already have a version of Office that you pay by monthly fee so there may be more of that.
Maybe they really do just want to treat us all to a free lunch. They also want world dominance, but that is a minor point you don't have to bother yourself with.
On 1/22/2015 2:29 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

I never, ever, ever buy from spam callers. Try to keep em on the line as long as possible, so they don't go bother some one else. Must be someone is buying, they keep coming on.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 3:25:30 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was thinking of trying Linux as the OS for my home computer after I retire and have time to fool around with that sort of thing. Anyone on here use Linux?
Paul
I use puppy linux. Way faster and more stable than windows.:-)

Me thinks this is Much Ado About Nothing. I am running Windows 7 and I don't like it. I hated 95 and 98 was just as bad. 2000 was an improvement but still sucked. I would be running Linux except one program I use, Pro-Engineer, has discontinued Linux support for their product two versions earlier than what I have. So I am pretty much stuck with Windows.
A free upgrade to 10 is like winning first place in a contest and getting an all expense paid, one week vacation to Cleveland, Ohio. Second place is a two week vacation to Cleveland, Ohio.
Apparently Microsoft is feeling the heat.
On 01/22/2015 04:50 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

That sucks.
Does Pro E run in Wine?
Have you though of running Pro E from a virtual machine?

Yep lots of people.
Real easy to try, and the price is right. Plus some very cool apps. Many of us use Linux only.
--
Dan Espen

|I use puppy linux. Way faster and more stable than windows.:-)
"Way faster"? Is there something you find unusably slow on Windows? I ask because I think speed is vastly overrated, due to a long history of marketing. People even talk about browser speed, and the browser companies encourage it by running tests and trying to beat each other out with page load times. But a slow webpage load is usually due to a slow server, a slow Internet, or a bloated and badly designed webpage. Choice of browser has little to do with it.
Speed hasn't really been an issue since the late 90s when CPUs got up to about 500 MHz, unless you're someone who edits video or giant photos. Then speed is about getting more RAM.
While a Windows PC with a lot of junk installed can be very slow (I've seen XP systems that move like molasses), in general there's no problem with Windows. I'm running XP right now, on a home made box that's nothing fancy. I bought one of the cheapest CPUs about 2 years ago. Yet virtually everything I do is instant, at least as far as my human perception can tell. I don't think that even the super-duperest Linux can beat instant.
Which is not to say I'm against Linux. I just hate to see people spend money needlessly. And Linux is not "free" if it takes new hardware and/or lots of time to set it up. There's also a serious lack of software, despite what some Linux fans will say. (GIMP is still not a very good image editor, after 15+ years in development. WINE is still not a solution, after 15+ years in development and a ridiculous 10-day update cycle.)
I've seen an awfully lot of people throw away perfectly good computers because they started to run a bit slow and the people were told by others that their PC had "got old", or that the OS was somehow "outdated". I have some of those PCs now. I clean them up and save them for people who might need one.
On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 9:11:13 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

Baloney. Put Windows 8 on a 500Mhz machine and it will be a pig. Not saying you need the latest quad core whatever, but there is a big, noticeable difference in performance between today's 2ghz multicore CPUs and a 500Mhz CPU.

Nope. Try using your system all day, like I do for computer programming. A fast system allows you to work un-interrupted.

Although the network is the bottleneck, some browsers do a better job of getting key parts of the web page in parallel and displaying the page without all the parts present.

Can't agree.

XP does some things instantly, other things much slower. Human reaction time is around 1/10 of a second. As a guideline, I think humans perceive slowdowns of around 1/10 of a second or more.

Nope. Do a dual boot install. No extra hardware required. Getting on the MSFT upgrade cycle WILL cost you money. I don't think Linux takes any more time to set up than a Windows system. It's the other way around.

Wine does some things fine. Personally I don't use or need Wine.
I can get by in GIMP. There's a load of other Linux software which works as well or better than the common Windows equivalents.

Doesn't happen with Linux systems. They don't slow down with age and new OS versions run fine on older hardware.
--
Dan Espen

Yup. 100% linux. I even have my Dad (76 this summer) converted from windows to Ubuntu. He's very happy with it (the windows system had a dozen infections by the time we replaced it).
Steve Stone wrote:

What M$ gets out of it is usage share. Developers don't develop for an unpopular OS like the Windows Phone or Windows 8. Microsoft has begged for people to write apps for the Windows Store but the store still looks like that mall that went out of business last year.
Enterprise customers will buy Office and so forth but the consumers aren't going to buy a machine that has a limited amount of software available and software developers aren't going to write for machines with a limited number of users. You've got to break the cycle somehow and giving free upgrades is what they hope will do the trick.
Pavel314 wrote:

Yup, for the last 20 years or so. Ubuntu is very easy to install and plays well. You no longer need to be a geek to get it up and running and except for some specialized applications there is a similar Linux program.
Mayayana wrote:

It doesn't require new hardware and the setup takes a couple of hours, for most of which you can go off and groom the cat or something. Yes, there are some specialized applications that are only available on Windows but how many casual users have them installed? Browse the web, do email, LibreOffice, and so forth and Linux has it covered. If you absolutely, positively have to have Quicken and will accept no others, stay with Windows.
Dan Espen wrote:

Yup. Put AndroidStudio on a box that was fairly well spec'd 5 years ago and you'll wish you hadn't. Or VisualStudio. Or even a straight command line compilation of a non-trivial application.
If you really want to catch up on your naps, try running ESRI Desktop on a 500 mHZ box.

None of that fancy development confuser stuff for me. I'll stick with Emacs and Makefiles.
--
Dan Espen