window whole house fan

I'd like to get a whole house fan, but the type that mounts on the window, not the ceiling type that leads to the attic. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with this type of fan and if it is as effective as the ceiling whole house fan? The fan I'd buy would be as powerful as a ceiling whole house fan. I live in the northeast where the outside temperatures tend to drop on most nights. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
On 20 Aug 2003 13:22:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jay) wrote:

I did this many years ago in a duplex I had rented. It worked just fine. Just be sure to block or cover the part of the window opening not occupied by the fan, to prevent the fan from pulling in air from outside and then immediately expelling it.
Only other thing I had to do was cover the bottom third of the fan blade safety grid with metal window screen to prevent my toddlers from reaching up and trimming their fingernails--or worse.
Since then I've owned my homes and have always installed the larger ceiling mounted fans--naturally the larger the fan the more air it'll move. Started in Wisconsin, went to NY, then to California. The drill: once the outdoor temp drops below the indoor temp, open the windows in the rooms you want to cool and start the fan. Run it till the house cools down (perhaps till dawn) and then close windows, and pull shades and drapes to keep out the heat. Repeat.
I still have that original $20 Lonergan fan. Runs fine 43 years later. Haven't really used it since. I may use it in my workshop, but if I do, I'll remove the window screening. Even my grandkids are no longer toddlers.
--John W. Wells
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome .