Window Replacement

Page 2 of 3
On 2015-03-02 11:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 23:57:19 -0500, Adam Kubias

money. However, his condemnation of vinyl windows is misplaced. GOOD vinyl construction grade windows are every bit as good as the vast majority of wood froamed windows on the market today. Rehau profile "hollow" window framed have steel re-enforcement installed in them for long pieces, and I've seen as many "quality" wood-framed windows with seal problems as good quality vinyl. I've had my Rehau profile vinyl windows for over 18 years and have not had a single seal failure. Friends had wooden windows installed at the same time and have had over half of the seals fail. Another friend's cottage had all wooden windows - double glazed sealed units with a third layer of glass clipped into the frame for triple glazing. Virtually every sealed unit needed replacement when they sold it last summer - and several of the casement sashes were loose and sagging.
That said - I would NEVER install an "insert" - woodframed or vinyl. The difference in material cost is negligible - and I find installing a "rough in" window no more difficult than an i sert - particularly when half the time when you go to replace a window the frame is rotted too.
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:54:22 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

On a corporate level, you are correct. On a household level, it is much different. The salesman makes his presentation and one of two things happens very often.
1. I like it but my husband/wife has to see it first. Can you come back later?
2. My husband/wife came home and does not want your product. Since we have the 3 day rescission contract, I'm canceling.
This sort of thing happens very frequently on home improvements. The person with full authority is always the one absent when buyer's remorse sets in.

You only have 3 days if they showed up uninvited and sold you something. (I think they have to sell you something that very day.)
If you called them, or iiuc did anything that could be considered an invitation, like fill out some card at the state fair (in order to win a dinner at some restaurant), possibly even if it didn't have the contractor's name on it, there is no right to cancel.
This was a compassionate law made for good reasons, and I haven't heard stories that confirm my fear**, but I fear it's caused more harm than good. There's a legal saying that "Hard cases make bad law." That refers to the judicial process and precedent, when a decision is made to remedy a wrong, even though the same logic applied elsewhere would have the opposite effect, and sometimes does because of the respect given to precedent.
**I've heard stories about people who believe it applies when it doesn't, but at most one who lost money because of it.

I don't see that exemption here unless you started negotiations.
https://www.oag.state.tx.us/agency/weeklyag/2005/0305contracts.pdf
There are several exceptions to the law . There is no three-day right of recision for goods or services purchased for less than $25, or for the purchase of insurance and farm equipment. Other exceptions are real estate purchases of less than $100 made at a place other than the merchant's place of business, a sale involving an attorney or broker, and sales made pursuant to prior negotiations at the merchant's business establishment, where the sale is the result of those negotiations. Finally, the law does not apply to sales conducted entirely by mail or telephone, with no other contact between the buyer and seller.

Well, I 'm sure I was right. Perhaps the law has been expanded. Since the first law was passed in 1972, that's possible. (I lost several years of my life in a milk-and-cookies-induced stupor.)

He agrees with me on one thing: "Many consumers are under the impression that these laws apply to any and all consumer purchases."
Aha, I see on the right
For a copy of the Chapter 39, Cancellation of Certain Consumer Transactions of Texas Business and Commerce Code: Texas State Law Library Post Office Box 12367 Austin, TX 78711 (512) 463-1722 www.sll.state.tx.us
For information on federal cooling off laws: Consumer Response Center Federal Trade Commission 600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Washington, DC 20580 877-FTC-HELP (382-4357) www.ftc.gov
So this pdf file is from the Texas AG about Texas law. Below I'll see if Federal law is different.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/products/pro03.shtm
I don't see it, so I guess it's not true anymore. Thanks.
Used to be, if you called a carpet, window, or rooft guy to come to your house and give you an estimate (price) and you signed a contract that was an exception to the cooling off law, and you were stuck with the contract. I think you can still waive your cooling off period in the contract you sign. That doesn't seem mentioned in the Texas webpage but it is in the Federal one, which might be echoed in other states.
There are a bunch of interesting urls, but I havent' read t hem and don't know if they are related to this. I only post them because I found them. I accept that you're right, and I continue with my plan never to rely on any 3-day period. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/12/01/the-3-day-cooling-off-period-myth-and-reality / http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer/smart-shopping/home-shopping/3day-rule.shtml

That's certainly something that varies by jurisdiction.
<more net-lawyering nonsense snipped>
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:54:22 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

Ok. It reminds me about these past financial seminar postcards I get in the mail where it says both husband and wife must attend.

That has to do with pension funds or similar. So it is logical to require both spouses to be present, since thay both have rights to that pension money. In most states.
In a good marriage, I think both spouses should have a voice in financial matters that affect the whole household.
--
Best regards
Han

Certainly, but that doesn't mean that one isn't delegated the responsibility. In the windows we just had replaced, my wife did the whole transaction since it would mean at least two days off work for me (different time zone, even ;-). She chose the person she liked better and did the babysitting.

Absolutely.
--
Best regards
Han

Yup And I don't bother patronizing those either
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 11:44:27 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

I won't agree or disagree with others whether both should attend or not but in my case, I prefer my wife to attend since she is a CPA. She sorta has my back when it comes to finances tho I can hold my own. Sure helps in tax time tho... she takes about 1/3 the time I would take and she corrects TurboTax on occasion for our situation (not typical and may get worst soon).

If they may not survive far less than that then they will survive just a little less, or maybe more? ;-)

See my other response on using storms with VRW. Just something to keep in mind.

Unless it voids the warranty and/or ruins the window. See my other response on using storms with VRW. Just something to keep in mind.

I have spoken to "a whole slew" of contractors for windows, doors and roofs over the past few years.
Not a single one of them wanted to talk to my wife. OK, that sounds bad. What I mean is that everyone one of them was willing to speak with me alone and make the deal with me alone.
The last salesman that insisted on talking to both of us was an encyclopedia salesman. I'm sure you can imagine how long ago that was!
(BTW...the windows and doors I did myself, the roof I hired out.)
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:01:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Not aware of a single vinyl replacement window (or any other with sealed unit double or triple pane glass) manufacturer that will stand behind their guarantee if storm windows are installed.
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:35:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How do storm widows damage the main window? Condensation?

Never mind. Derby said it was heat.

I'm not either, but had I said that there is not a single VRW that can be used with storms, somebody would have come up with an example. ;-) That's just how it works around here.

Considering that 1) Most windows do NOT fill the opening completely, and thus require the equivalent of "brick molding" depending on the exterior. 2) Storm windows get attached to the "brick molding" equivalent I fail to see why having a second covering over the window would be a warranty breaker.