Window does not stay up

Hello,
I have a problem with my sliding windows. One night I pushed them down hard and heard a click. After that I have problems in keeping them up. I try to keep them up, however it comes down automatically. I know something's broken, or not in its right place, unfortunately, I'm not sure what it is. Can I remove the window completely and then put it back in. I know you can clean them by pulling them inside at an angle, however is that the way to also totally remove them, and if so, then is it a problem to put it back in? Please help. I'm new at this! Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
A spring or counterbalence broke. Are they name brand windows? Look closely for faint etching in the glass or frame to try to figure out who made them.

snalion wrote:

Without a doubt you broke thw counter balancing mechanism, a sprimg or weight set up tha is usually inside the window frame Which to get to you have to remove the entire window as a rule.. Not an easy thing to fix.