Window and/or vent in bathroom

I live in Pennsylvania. Is there a building code that states if you have to have a window and/or a vent in a full bathroom or a powder room (no tub/shower)?

Thanks

Reply to
Ray

If you are CREATING a bathroom then the new bathroom must have either a window or a mechanical vent. There is a not-so-subtle difference between that and saying that you must have such ventilation in all bathrooms.

I can't see why this should be a problem, though. If the toilet fixture can be vented, so can the room it's in.

Reply to
Goedjn

I am renovating my full bathroom (which already has a window in it) and creating a powder room in an old closet that has a window that is nailed shut. I'm having both windows removed. In the full bathroom, I'm replacing it with a smaller window. In the powder room, I'm replacing it with glass blocks and adding a vent.

I was asking the question because I've had two plumbers/contractors in so far and one told me I needed both while the other said either/or. I'm siding with the either/or guy.

Reply to
Ray

Why not call the building inspector for the right answer for your community?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do you know what code governs your project? Internationsl Residential Code 2003, Section R303.3 Light, Ventilation & Heating, Bathrooms - says: Bathrooms, water closet comparments and other similar rooms shall be provided with aggregate glazing area in windows of not less than 3 square feet, one half of which must be operable. Exception: The glazed areas shall not be required where artificial light and a mechanical system are provided. The minimum ventilation rates shall be 50 cfm for intermittent ventilation. Ventilation air shall be exhausted directly to the outside.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

here in Georgia an answer from a building inspector will greatly depend on which inspector and what mood they are in at the time. I have never had any of them able to produce many of their requirements in writing but what they say goes.

Reply to
MC

What does "directly to the outside" mean? Can I run a vent pipe from the bathroom exhaust fan to a point immediately adjacent to the roof vent -- on the inside of the roof?

And if the bathroom does have an "operable" window?

Perce

On 10/26/05 07:00 pm snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

It's all codified in a book...ask them which they use.

Reply to
dadiOH

Sounds like the cart is before the horse. To even get a permit for a bathroom renovation in my city I had to submit plans for approval. In that process, the city employee made sure I had all the features required by code and plastered stickers quoting code (at least the ones they pay attention to) all over my drawing so noone could miss it.

Sounds like you are just discussing plans with contractors so you haven't really got to that point yet. But by and large, it is an "either/or" situation. A vent is easy compared to trying to fit a skylight above a powder room, its just not practical.

I suggest you go out and buy the relevant "code check" books that are usually at the checkout at HD for less than $20 you have all the answers you need. Some other issues you may not be aware of is 15" to either side of toilet (center line) and 24" in front will determine the min dimention of the room and minimum lighting efficiency standards might be in place.

Reply to
PipeDown

Outside means outside, not inside your attic. In fact code defines a min distance from other openings in the house (I think 15") and min distance from adjascent structures. You also cannot tie into another vent.

Exausting, especially humid bathroom air, into an attic is foolish. It will saturate your insulation with moisture making it less efficient and promote frost and other damaging moisture related effects in the winter and cool months. It could even directly feed mold in worst cases.

If the bath has a window that can open, that will usually serve the purpose of a vent but area of window vs. size of room ratios may be enforced (not sure for a bathroom but true for other living spaces)

Reply to
PipeDown