Window Air Conditioner Angle?

The installation instructions say:
"The Top Rail and Sliding Panels at each side are offset to provide the proper pitch to the rear of (5/16"). This is necessary for proper condensed water utilization and drainage. If you are not using the side panels for any reason, this pitch must be maintained!"
When I set the unit in the window as instructed it tilts slighty forward. In other words, the outside end is slightly higher than the inside end.
This makes sense to me, because if it tilted the other way it would be more likely to slide out of the window. But it bother me that the instructions say "proper pitch to the rear". And any rain on the top of the unit will run towards the window.
This is Fridigaire 205391, a 6,000 BTU unit, bought at Lowes. Lousy pictures in the installation manual.
Any thoughts?
Sam
http://170.224.19.5/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId 5391-48789-FAA067P7A&lpage=none
Did you put the side rails on the wrong side or upside down? The far outside must be lower than the indoor surface in order to drain the condensate. Make whatever adjustments that are required to make this happen or you will be pouring water inside.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Is the unit resting on the frame of a storm window? If so, put a spacer in the window bottom to raise the AC up so it sits properly. You do NOT want it to tilt inward. In my house, if I was to just put the unit in the window it would tilt inward, so I put a 1/2" thick piece of wood under it and they are perfect now. You can put a level on the section where the AC will sit and the storm window frame to see how high you must raise yours.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Saml wrote:

It's not the RAIN that's the issue, it's the condensate from the cooled room air. It not only has to drain outside, but some ACs actually fling the condensed (pure) water against the condensing coils to aid in efficiency.

http://170.224.19.5/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId 5391-48789-FAA067P7A&lpage=none

Do whatever it takes to tilt it towards the outside or you'll be sorry.
On Thu, 10 May 2007 20:38:35 -0500, "J.A. Michel"

Yes, that's right. If you can't tilt the AC, tilt the house.
On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:03:46 -0400, Saml wrote:

It has to have a slight pitch to the rear so condensation drains out the back. Check your rail and panels for an improper install. If you are worried about it falling out of the window, install a bracket behind it. Bracket available at Lowes.

I put an AC in a 5th floor window once. I nailed a shelf to the outside sill before I even put the AC anywhere near the window. So I could open the whole window and the AC wouldn't fall out.
The nails went in at opposing angles so the leverage of the AC wouldn't pull the nails out.
mm wrote:

Take their advice and provide the proper slope to the outdoors. Here is what my 6,000-BTUH Whirlpool cools. Over 900-sq.ft, Heat Index 104 in a 1930's home. Read how it is accomplished: http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioner_current_temperature_btuh_charting.html
- udarrell

I have one 11000 BTU 110v window unit cooling my modest two bedroom home built in the 40's, no insulation but has attic and basement. I did replace all the windows last year with double pane units, what a difference that made.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

So many posts went off on tangents.
Set a level on the top of the housing and make sure it tilts down toward the outside 5/16".
Follow other suggestions offered for shimming or supporting as needed to accomplish this.
This pitch is so slight that the unit should look almost level when viewed.
Enjoy the cool.
Colbyt
Thanks for the responses. Got it fixed. This is my first window unit. I was putting it into a vinyl replacement window in the finished attic and I had some kind of mental spasm when visualizing what a wooden casement window looked like. I had to build a wooden base inside the vinyl lip. For some reason I put it outside the first time. Possibly age...
Sam