Wierd larvae

Wondering if anyone has seen the following: they are a very thin (thread-like) caterpillar/worm-like larvae, green with a dark (black) stripe. There isn't a visible, discernable head. My father has them all through his back yard, on the ground, not up in trees.
thanks for any heads up you can pass along...
--
Edee Em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....